Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Is this Fuel Starvation? Or Something Else? 13 Nov 2006 09:02 #91674

• wickedquick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Sounds like fuel starvation to me - Try running without a fuel filter and see if that helps. (heresy I know)Remember the carbs are gravity fed so they can be run low pretty easy if there is a restriction. If not the filter or petcock, make sure your fuel float level is right. I've had both of these problems on my old harley. Very simple yes but they must both be right.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Is this Fuel Starvation? Or Something Else? 13 Nov 2006 09:21 #91675

• hwms
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I seem to recall some old previous postings about pods blocking some orfices where they mate to the intake.

Is this Fuel Starvation? Or Something Else? 13 Nov 2006 09:24 #91676

• rpsmith
  • rpsmith's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
mark1122 wrote:

Did this start just after you added pods and rejetted?maybee too much oil on pods?try useing the choke when it happens again to see if it wants more fuel.

That's also a very good question, but I'm afraid I don't know the answer. I don't ride on the freeway much, so I can't tell if the problem started when I made those changes. I put the new fuel filter in at the same time as doing the pods/jets. And you may very well be right that there is too much oil in the pods--however, would too much oil there cause the symptoms I describe? I will try the choke thing you suggest.

mark1122 wrote:

also check to see if you have 12volts to the coils.It could be low.

I did rewire the coils so they are fed straight +12V from the battery through a relay, so I should be OK on that front. I'll double check anyway.

wickedquick wrote:

Sounds like fuel starvation to me - Try running without a fuel filter and see if that helps. (heresy I know)Remember the carbs are gravity fed so they can be run low pretty easy if there is a restriction. If not the filter or petcock, make sure your fuel float level is right.

I will try running without the filter and clean the petcock. Hopefully that will fix it. :) I did check my float level when I cleaned the carbs a couple months ago, so I am OK there I think.

Is this Fuel Starvation? Or Something Else? 13 Nov 2006 09:29 #91678

• rpsmith
  • User
hwms wrote:

I seem to recall some old previous postings about pods blocking some orfices where they mate to the intake.

I'm tempted to go back to the regular airbox. I had initially bought these pods because I thought it would make it easier to remove/install the carbs, but these pods are a mess with all the oil.

Is this Fuel Starvation? Or Something Else? 13 Nov 2006 11:22 #91693

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
You are definitely starving for gas above 5K rpm due to the main jets. While changing main jets, install some #40 pilot jets of type BS30/96. The new mains should be #140.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Is this Fuel Starvation? Or Something Else? 15 Nov 2006 09:49 #92315

• rpsmith
  • User
wiredgeorge wrote:

You are definitely starving for gas above 5K rpm due to the main jets. While changing main jets, install some #40 pilot jets of type BS30/96. The new mains should be #140.

Huh! Is this for the pods, you mean? Right now I have the stock-sized pilot jets on my BS34's (37.5, I believe) and 130 mains. I guess pods need more than I thought then. Perhaps I will just put the stock airbox back in...

Is this Fuel Starvation? Or Something Else? 15 Nov 2006 10:18 #92322

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
The classic symptom of valve-clearances-out-of-spec is stalling after a highway run. As the clearances get worse, the bike runs poorer and stalls out sooner. But when the bike cools, it'll be back to normal since the valves start to seal again. It only takes a few seconds to a few minutes for the bike to cool enough to be normal. Stop and go street riding won't usually show up a problem unless the clearances are way off. Only the highway speeds heat up the valves enough to produce problems, usually. If the problem is showing up while at 5000 RPMs, it's pretty severe, if it is indeed the valves.

If you pull over right when the problem happens, will it die, or idle?

The other suggestions are good possibilities, and you want to check the easy stuff first. My first guess would have been fuel starvation too, since your symptoms don't match the valve-clearance symptoms exactly.

Like WG said, pods will need a rejet.

It's just wierd that it takes 5 minutes for the problem to show up.

Is the ignition system stock?

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2006/11/16 12:44

Is this Fuel Starvation? Or Something Else? 16 Nov 2006 07:28 #92546

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Your BS34 carbs on the cop bike are sensitive to using pods. #37.5 pilots are lean and make starting hard and #130 mains will mean you run out of gas far before you reach readline. Correct the jetting issue and see if you still have problems. Jets are not all that expensive.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: