Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Henry Abe airbox (KZ650) 12 Sep 2021 18:44 #855195

• blipco
  • User
  • 2002 KZ1000P
  • Thank you received: 223
Can you get your hand into the airbox from the back with the carbs installed? I ask because I just learned this trick I wish I had known about eons ago. ( I hope this is not known by everybody but me, LOL.)
With the airbox in place and the carbs installed on the carb holders... but no rubber boots between the air box and the carbs... Install the rubber boots one at a time through the airbox (providing you can reach them). I just did it this way on my zr7S. It saves the trouble of shoving the carburetors between the carb holders and the airbox boots. Piece of cake.
That is providing you return to the stock airbox. Which you might.
"Swim against the current, even a dead fish can go with the flow"-somebody (I forget Who)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Oysteinaar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Henry Abe airbox (KZ650) 21 Sep 2021 22:52 #855614

• Oysteinaar
  • Oysteinaar's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 12
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI will check if it is possible to do it that way, thanks! I have to order new jets and rubber boots for the carbs before I start dismantling it though. 

Does anyone know the measurements for the main jets on the VM24's? Will these work, or should I just go for original (and 10x more expensive) main jets? 

If someone has the measurements for the pilot jet that would also be nice!

Kawasaki KZ650 1979

Henry Abe airbox (KZ650) 22 Sep 2021 00:46 #855615

• Warren3200gt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 655
Ebay jets are cheap copies with little or no quality control regarding flow rates and the biggest cause of tunning issues i come across and i work on a LOT of z650's.
Use genuine carb parts only. They are more expensive, yes, but theres a reason for it. 

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

Henry Abe airbox (KZ650) 22 Sep 2021 06:10 #855619

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
Airbox.  new airbox ducts are available at Z1Enterprises.com. soft & pliable ducts make installation simple.

Jets.   K&L brand (made in Japan) are purported to be good quality.  I assume this is still so, but I have no experience with them. JetsRus sells Mikuni jets.  not sure what Z1Enterprises carries any more. 

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Henry Abe airbox (KZ650) 22 Sep 2021 08:26 #855623

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
  • Thank you received: 366
Depending upon which set of carbs are on the bike they may have differences between main jet, needle jet and jet needle.  Do they have an accelerator pump on them or not.  To the best of my knowledge those with the accelerator pump (part# 16001-1084) came stock with the following  97.5 main jet, a 15 pilot jet, an AO-5 needle jet, a 5CL16 jet needle set to the 3rd slot, and  a 1.75 cutaway on the throttle slide.  

If they do not have an accelerator pump they are most likely part# 16001-1069 and came with the following 102.5 main jet, a 15 pilot jet, an O-4 needle jet, a 5CN15 jet needle set to the 4th slot, and a 1.5 cutaway on the throttle slide with a notch on the engine side of the slide. 
1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

This is my Z

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT

Henry Abe airbox (KZ650) 22 Sep 2021 09:57 #855626

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2609
Not all jets are equal. Bought what I thought were Mikuni jets and the bike wouldn't run for SHT. Found genuine Mik jets the same size and it ran great. It IS how they're drilled not the hole size. 
Steve
jetsrus.com/a_jets_by_carburetor_type/a_...kits_a_selection.htm
jetsrus.com/a_jet_kit_street/kawasaki_650_KZ650B_1977-1978.htm

Last edit: by SWest. Reason: add link

Henry Abe airbox (KZ650) 29 Dec 2021 07:02 #859758

• Oysteinaar
  • Oysteinaar's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 12
gd4now: They do NOT have the accelerator pump.

So I finally bought this from dimecitycyles, and as far as I could tell they should be genuine mikuni:

4* #110 main jet
4* #107,5 main jet
4* #17,5 pilot jet
From my research the stock pilot jet is #15, so I didn't buy those.

Also bought a new set of carb holders (the ones currently on the bike have visible cracks all over)

I was thinking it would be smart to get some new gaskets as well since old gaskets have a tendency to rip while disassembling. And maybe change the O-rings as well. Would you recommend changing anything else while "in-there"?

Would an aftermarket kit work okay for this? I see this set have the O-rings, and some other stuff aswell (I wont be using the jets from the kit)
​​​​​

Kit includes:

Float bowl gasket
Carb top gasket
2.0 Float needle and seat
Jet Needle Y63
#90, #97.5, #102, #102.5 and #15 jets
Mixture screw and spring
Other Gaskets and parts as shown
Kawasaki KZ650 1979

Last edit: by Oysteinaar.
  • Page: