• Page:

TOPIC:

Fuel "T" tube leaking 24 Feb 2021 17:31 #844038

• Bluegoose
  • Bluegoose's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2

Nessism wrote:

Warren3200gt wrote: I think the fuel t and carb fuel couplings o ring size is 2 X 8.

I use red loctite on the butterfly screws when replacing them and I also upset the head just like the factory does. I made a small nub by grinding a piece of file, then that gets positioned in the backside of the screw and it gets pinched with high leverage pliers to flare out the end. I've got photos showing the process if anyone is interested.

I'm having trouble finding those screws for the choke flapper. Do you reuse the originals or have you found a source? Partszilla doesn't appear to sell them (or I'm not finding them). Thanks!
1981 Kawasaki LTD 750

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Fuel "T" tube leaking 24 Feb 2021 19:33 #844046

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2671
I reuse the original screws. Alternate to that is to buy some new screws from the hardware store and drill a hollowed out section in them which can be flared.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bluegoose

Fuel "T" tube leaking 25 Feb 2021 10:44 #844096

• Bluegoose
  • User

Nessism wrote: I reuse the original screws. Alternate to that is to buy some new screws from the hardware store and drill a hollowed out section in them which can be flared.

Cool. Yeah, I had the same idea. I found a small pack of 3mm x 8mm at the home cheapo that fit the bill. The original are 3x6 so the little bit longer made it easy to drill out a bit of the end and it worked great. I crimped the end with some needle nose vice grips and that seems to have worked. I used red loctite too. Thanks!
1981 Kawasaki LTD 750
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

Fuel "T" tube leaking 25 Feb 2021 20:47 #844117

• Bluegoose
  • User
Got all the O-rings replaced and zero leaks. Thanks to everyone that chimed in with help. Cheers.
1981 Kawasaki LTD 750
Attachments:

Last edit: by Bluegoose. Reason: added pic

Fuel "T" tube leaking 26 Feb 2021 15:01 #844147

• Bluegoose
  • User
Ugh. Re-installed the carbs and now get a fast idle (`3k rpm). I didn't mess with the floats or needles or anything really. I just took them apart to replace the o-rings in the fuel tubes. Trying to think if there's anything I could have missed when re-assembling but it was pretty straightforward and didn't have any issues that I could see. Thoughts? TIA.
1981 Kawasaki LTD 750

Fuel "T" tube leaking 26 Feb 2021 15:42 #844148

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2671
Have you replaced the intake boots that bolt to the head? If they are the originals it's common for them to leak vacuum, particularly when pulling the carbs which stresses them.

Fuel "T" tube leaking 26 Feb 2021 16:47 #844155

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1021
What Matt said. Or possibly your throttle valves are too far open at idle.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

Fuel "T" tube leaking 26 Feb 2021 18:49 #844164

• Bluegoose
  • User

Nessism wrote: Have you replaced the intake boots that bolt to the head? If they are the originals it's common for them to leak vacuum, particularly when pulling the carbs which stresses them.

Yeah, that's what I'm suspecting too as they are the originals. I'm going to look at them very closely tomorrow and use the starter fluid trick around the boots where they connect. It's possible I didn't get them seated all the way properly too as they were a real bear getting them on. Any tips on re-installing them? Is it safe to use a little petroleum jelly or something to lube them a bit? Thanks!
1981 Kawasaki LTD 750

Fuel "T" tube leaking 26 Feb 2021 18:56 #844165

• Bluegoose
  • User

hardrockminer wrote: What Matt said. Or possibly your throttle valves are too far open at idle.

The throttle valves look like they are correct. I have a very slight gap at the bottom and all 4 look exactly the same. I'm definitely leaning toward the boots as they are the original 40-year-old boots and I've been taking the carbs off and on a lot before I finally smartened up and did a bench wet test. Thanks!
1981 Kawasaki LTD 750

Fuel "T" tube leaking 26 Feb 2021 19:52 #844167

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1021
I've found that the boot clamps can be tightened further when they are warm. Also, be sure to use a JIS screwdriver on JIS screws.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

• Page: