Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Identifying which KZ650 carburetor I have? 21 Oct 2020 23:16 #837449

• raevol
  • raevol's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi all- I'm trying to buy a carb rebuild kit for the KZ650 I am starting work on, and I'm confusing myself reading through information here and in other places. Are there different carbs for different submodels of the KZ650?

Here's a crappy and probably unhelpful pic I took of my carbs to show my friend that I was missing a carb top:

If there's a better pic I can take (of a number on it somewhere possibly?) let me know and I can provide that! Thanks in advance for any help!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Identifying which KZ650 carburetor I have? 22 Oct 2020 00:34 #837451

• Warren3200gt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 648
Vm22 and vm24 on early models. It looks like either of those from your pic. Vm22 has a extra port at about the 10 oclock position in the carb mouth.
If its only the mix chamber cap that is missing, vm22, vm24, vm 26 all use the same cap so are interchangable.

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

Attachments:

Last edit: by Warren3200gt.

Identifying which KZ650 carburetor I have? 22 Oct 2020 01:38 #837452

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1441
Can't add anything to the info Warren provided except the 3 screw carb tops from all the VM slide cards on Z650, Z900 and Z1000 22, 24, 26 and 28mm are the same and will fit.
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Identifying which KZ650 carburetor I have? 22 Oct 2020 06:33 #837461

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
Yes. Different model and year KZ650 bikes had different carbs. Some were VM22; most were VM24. Also, later KZ650 carbs had a vacuum port for the petcock hose; 1977 carbs did not have this port because they used a non-vacuum operated petcock. Also, later carbs had hoses connecting the bottom of the carbs for the accelerator pump, early carbs didn't have this. In my humble (well maybe not humble) opinion the early (1977) carbs are the best! Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Identifying which KZ650 carburetor I have? 22 Oct 2020 06:42 #837463

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
  • Thank you received: 361
there should be an ID number stamped on the flange below the choke lever or on the same flange on the outside of #4 carb. If you post what is on your carbs we may be able to provide you with more info.
1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

This is my Z

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT
Attachments:

Last edit: by gd4now.

Identifying which KZ650 carburetor I have? 22 Oct 2020 07:38 #837469

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1892
Some info about the KZ650 Carb Data

Attachments:

Identifying which KZ650 carburetor I have? 22 Oct 2020 07:45 #837471

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2043
Most likely you do not need carb kits. All of the orings and gaskets will need to be replaced, but the hard parts rarely need more than a good cleaning. If the engine has really high mileage or the previous owner rode a lot in dusty or sandy conditions without an air filter,, then the needle jets and jet needles may need replacing. If there is serious corrosion (not just hard varnish) in the carbs, then the jets may need replacing.
There is no need to spend money on possibly inferior aftermarket parts when he factory parts may still be perfectly serviceable.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

Identifying which KZ650 carburetor I have? 22 Oct 2020 09:15 #837481

• raevol
  • User
Thank you for so much info!! I will get some better pics later today, I'll definitely be able to figure out which one it is from this!

I ordered a carb top! Wee!

TexasKZ wrote: Most likely you do not need carb kits. All of the orings and gaskets will need to be replaced, but the hard parts rarely need more than a good cleaning.

Thank you for this! I almost just went ahead and bought a kit last night. I will hold off on buying anything until I get a look at the internals, but I definintely at least need gaskets, is there somewhere I can get a "set" of those? THe carb rebuild kits I was looking at on amazon included all of those and were only about $40.

Last edit: by raevol.

Identifying which KZ650 carburetor I have? 22 Oct 2020 09:27 #837485

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1441

raevol wrote: The carb rebuild kits I was looking at on amazon included all of those and were only about $40.

Don't touch those kits with a barge pole .
You get what you pay for and cheap kits cause more problems than they solve.
If you were to buy complete kits then Keyster are the ones to buy but you won't need half what they contain.
The only parts you would need are gaskets, 'O' rings, float valve and choke plunger .
Anything else should be genuine Mikuni and can be sourced from paces like JETSRUS etc .
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Identifying which KZ650 carburetor I have? 22 Oct 2020 09:43 #837488

• raevol
  • User

zed1015 wrote: Don't touch those kits with a barge pole .
You get what you pay for and cheap kits cause more problems than they solve.

Ok for sure! Glad I asked...

zed1015 wrote: The only parts you would need are gaskets, 'O' rings, float valve and choke plunger .

Any suggestions on where to get those?

Identifying which KZ650 carburetor I have? 22 Oct 2020 10:39 #837493

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2659
cycleorings.com has an O-ring kit that should have most if not all that you need. If there are some random O-rings missing Harbor Freight sells kits for cheap.

Ebay has lots of guys selling VM carb gaskets. The pumper VM's take different gaskets than the non pumper type so pay attention to what you are ordering.

BTW, it looks like the sync screws are missing off the slides in the first photo. Hope you have those parts or you are going to have to hunt some down.

Last edit: by Nessism.

Identifying which KZ650 carburetor I have? 22 Oct 2020 19:58 #837524

• raevol
  • User
Finally, more pics!

This number looks like:

2A

but it might be

2A

It was really difficult to get my phone camera to focus on that bit...

@Nessim there's those missing bits. If I get the exact same size I should be able to get just about any nuts and washers? Or no? Is there any special material they should be?

Last edit: by raevol. Reason: explanation for out-of-focus picture of carb number
  • Page: