Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

VM24 w/ pods rich idle issue. 14 Oct 2019 11:41 #812443

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
You're definitely getting closer.

I keep a collection of shims washers to cover 1/4 steps. Half step changes (.5mm) are often too much, I find, so I try source washers from wherever I can get them, and hope there are a wide range of thickness.

Assuming you have .5mm shims in there now,
I think I would raise the needle by swapping to a thicker shim, like a .7 or .8 mm shim, then compensate with smaller pilot and smaller main. And reset the idle mix to 12 to 12.5 AFR after complete warm up.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by loudhvx.

VM24 w/ pods rich idle issue. 31 Oct 2019 17:24 #813347

• Saablord
  • Saablord's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 59
I keep forgetting to update this... I haven't done much because I was waiting on zr750 exhaust to come in which I installed last weekend. I'll take another look at the carbs after I get a stripped pilot screw out and a new afr bung installed.

Last edit: by Saablord.

VM24 w/ pods rich idle issue. 12 Dec 2019 19:40 #815287

• Saablord
  • User
*sigh* chock this one up to another classic blame-the-carbs-but-its-not-100%-the-carbs situation.

I believe i was having multiple issues. The terrible exhaust and pods didnt help so I put the new exhaust on and made a 650 airbox fit but it still didnt run right on one cyl. turns out the final piece of my issue was a loose spark plug tip (not the spark end, the plug wire end). these were new plugs i put in part way through sorting these issues so it just made all the other issues worse.

Now i have to double check the AFRs and decide what i want to do with the parts ive been collecting for an 810 kit.

VM24 w/ pods rich idle issue. 18 Dec 2019 20:59 #815584

• Saablord
  • User
Mmmm I take that back. Things are better now but not quite perfect. Dropped the needle again (now on the 4th slot from the bott of this dynajet needle and put ~112 mains in. Still rich off idle and cruise, but now I'm in the low 11s. 1/2 and full throttle are around 12.5. definitely runs better overall though.

The way I see it I have two options. Drop the needle again and hope it doesn't screw the rest of it up or put the stock needle back in.

I dunno, I'll drop it again and see where that goes.

Last edit: by Saablord.

VM24 w/ pods rich idle issue. 19 Dec 2019 03:13 #815587

• Warren3200gt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 655

loudhvx wrote: but I don't know what the numbers on some Mikuni jets mean, if anything. .

Flow rate. The higher the number the higher the flow. and vice versa.

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

VM24 w/ pods rich idle issue. 19 Dec 2019 15:08 #815620

• Saablord
  • User
Specifically its the hole diameter in millimeters, so a 112 jet has a hole 1.12mm in diameter. Ive just been drilling jets with a micro bit set for testing.