Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

83 GPZ550 H2 Wont run after proper warmup 17 Nov 2017 14:15 #774705

• Zeerx
  • User
  • Thank you received: 22
Have you considered the coils? They will run cold but after a while when they heat up something inside shorts. This is exactly what happened to my brothers KZ1000. Twice (before we figured it out) we got 15 miles into a ride when he lost 2 cylinders on the same coil. The weird thing was the coil that was working was leaking some kind of goo. The bad coil looked fine. Give it a shot. They're cheap. Cheers.
‘99 ZRX1100, ‘05 DRZ400S, ‘78 KZ1000LTD, ‘12 F150 (Ford)
The following user(s) said Thank You: kosh3rhalal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Zeerx.

83 GPZ550 H2 Wont run after proper warmup 11 Dec 2017 15:33 #775851

• kosh3rhalal
  • kosh3rhalal's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Corey,
I actually installed a gravity fed petcock, because the stock vac one was corroded and leaky. The bike revs up to 8k no problem but when it warm-up its running too rich and dies from a slow rpm range to about 4k. I

83 GPZ550 H2 Wont run after proper warmup 11 Dec 2017 15:47 #775852

• kosh3rhalal
  • kosh3rhalal's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Hey guys just want to check back in, as I have been working hard to figure this one out.
So LoudHVX was on the right track, as the plugs on the TK26's pilot jets NEED to have o-rings that seal the pilot jet from the float supply of fuel. I was missing 1 o-ring and the rest were stock from the factory(83) and were shriveled up and cracked. This was creating a rich environment that allowed the bike to start easily without choke, but as soon as this cold blooded bike warms up she's too rich on the pilot and dies. I checked my plugs and they were getting blackened as well. Also! the secondary intake on the H2 had a worn foam filter that I ignored previously and got some uni filter foam and custom cut it for the holding bracket.
--So I got the o -rings replaced and was able to seal off the pilots. Now the bike starts with choke cold.. but warm up is quick, and she runs amazing at Stage 1 settings (DynoJet #80 Main, 3rd clip Needle). Bike idles in stop and go traffic like a true thumper and at 45-55 degrees (F) the fuel screw is 2 3/4 turned CC, the low rpms are snappy and responsive. Top end is great for about 20 min at freeway speeds and starts to get a little poppy, I may have to adjust needle or mains, Thanks for the help guys
The following user(s) said Thank You: loudhvx

83 GPZ550 H2 Wont run after proper warmup 11 Dec 2017 17:49 #775860

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Glad it's going in the right direction!
Thanks for the update.

Last edit: by loudhvx.
  • Page: