Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

kz650 idles terribly 31 Jul 2017 13:28 #768060

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
Take a look at the image below. When fuel was running from the fuel tank through the petcock fuel port what position was the little petcock handle in? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

kz650 idles terribly 31 Jul 2017 14:25 #768062

• pa317
  • pa317's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
It was in the RES position. While it was flowing, I moved it to ON to see if that would make a difference. It didn't. It was not in "PRI" position. I have a video of this if you would like me to upload

Also while I moved it to ON, I tried paying attention to the flow rate and wondered if the rubber seal behind the lever was torn up

kz650 idles terribly 31 Jul 2017 14:39 #768064

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2624
It's not working which leads me to believe you are getting a air leak from the petcock. Without vacuum only prime will let fuel through.
Steve

kz650 idles terribly 31 Jul 2017 14:47 #768065

• 650ed
  • User

pa317 wrote: It was in the RES position. While it was flowing, I moved it to ON to see if that would make a difference. It didn't. It was not in "PRI" position. I have a video of this if you would like me to upload

Also while I moved it to ON, I tried paying attention to the flow rate and wondered if the rubber seal behind the lever was torn up

With no vacuum being applied to the petcock fuel should not flow with it in the “ON” or “RES” position. I would rebuild or replace the petcock since there appears to be a problem with it. I wouldn’t start work on the carbs until after the petcock problem is corrected. If after that is done the rough idle persists I would start on the carbs by first checking the fuel level using the clear tube test. It’s possible that the carbs have a very simple fuel level problem that can be easily corrected at no cost. It is also quite possible that the carbs simply need to be synchronized. If they currently are out of sync the engine will have a rough idle. I would not consider removing or tearing the carbs apart until I was positive the fuel levels and sync are correct. Ed

kz650 idles terribly 08 Aug 2017 18:08 #768599

• pa317
  • User
Just a quick update, that there is no update. The replacement kit for the petcock came in. Disappointed there isn't a new spring in there). Parts guy said there would be. However I haven't had a chance to try it out. Something about working on the bike the evening of my wifes birthday seemed like a bad idea. And now I have to knock out a paper for school. But the weekend will be here soon and there should be some beautiful weather!

kz650 idles terribly 19 Aug 2017 12:04 #769251

• pa317
  • User
Update: The bike runs again! I got around to using the petcock rebuild kit last week, the bike started, but as soon as I touched the throttle it died. After being frustrated and walking away, I re-checked my work. The addition of the stiff in-line fuel filter created a nice kink in the hose. So I humbly follow Ed's advice to a T and ordered an elbow. That's on and the bike is running again. It seems like it is running better but the overall issue of dying when it idles is still there. Now I need to find a time to tear apart the carbs and clean the jets.

kz650 idles terribly 27 Aug 2017 14:18 #769883

• pa317
  • User
This afternoon I got the carbs out. I took a few pictures along the way and wrote down what I did after each section. Hopefully this reduces any errors when I put them back together again. When they were off, I opened the float bowls on each of the four carbs. Removed the main needle and jet needle one by one, and sprayed it with carb cleaner and compressed air. During reassembly I replaced the O ring on the drain screw.
Should there be anything else I do while they are off?

I noticed carbs 1, 2, and 3, the air intake had blackish residue along the walls. Carb 4 didn't have that. Carb 1 did have some type of mineral deposit build up which I cleaned with carb cleaner and a brand new tooth brush

Attachments:

kz650 idles terribly 27 Aug 2017 14:32 #769886

• ajsfirehawk
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 89
These are Patton's drawings and procedures so I take no credit here. The right place to start.
79 KZ650 SR
80 KZ1000 Z1 Classic
83 KZ1100 LTD
Z900RS
23 Mach 1

kz650 idles terribly 29 Aug 2017 12:32 #769946

• drakhen99
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
This thread is timely! I got my 650 back in May, and shortly thereafter, I began noticing a small spot of fuel on my driveway underneath the bike. It was obviously flowing through the carbs and out the overflow tubes. Fast forward a couple of months and one tank of fuel system cleaner-treated gas (recommended by my trusted mechanic), and the leak has gotten worse.

What he and I thought was a stuck needle has been proved to also be the petcock and a weeping gasket on the float bowl. Since I don't have the time or covered space (garage, shed, etc.) with which to work on the bike, it's at the shop now, and wifey is a little more happy not smelling fuel every time she walks past the bike. My mechanic has replaced the float needles? and is either rebuilding or replacing the petcock, as well as replacing the float bowl gaskets.

I will update with more details once I hear more or get my bike back from the shop, in the hopes it helps you.

-John
2019 Harley Street Glide Special (FLHXS)
2016 Vaquero - traded
2005 VN800B
1979 KZ650SR

kz650 idles terribly 01 Sep 2017 06:11 #770139

• drakhen99
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
OK, maybe this will help:
My mechanic rebuilt the petcock, replaced the spark plugs (they were fouled), replaced the float bowl gaskets, and replaced all 4 float needles (interestingly, the needles come in a 6-pack).

Now, the bike starts up easily, idles well-ish, and runs great. It had very little gas in it, and was already on RES when I picked it up last night, so I immediately went to a gas station, and on the way there (half a mile), it sputtered some. After filling with fuel and returning the petcock to ON, it ran much better, but still stalled a couple of times when sitting at longer lights. A little blip of the throttle before the light turned green allowed for a smoother take-off, and usually a blip per minute kept her running.

After sitting for a couple of hours after I got home, there was no fuel on the ground, but this morning there was a small amount (maybe the size of a Post-It note).

-John
2019 Harley Street Glide Special (FLHXS)
2016 Vaquero - traded
2005 VN800B
1979 KZ650SR

kz650 idles terribly 02 Sep 2017 14:18 #770200

• pa317
  • User
The bike is back together again! I swore the most putting the boots on between the air box and carbs. Getting those in just right was a hassle! Thankfully it fired right up.

To address the three major issues:
1. Putting the tank back on no fuel leaked. Makes me wonder why fuel leaks after the bike has run for awhile, but eventually the petcock does it's job
2. Dies when I come to a stop at a stop sign. I need to ride it to see if this has been fixed. It's a rainy afternoon here
3. Idles poorly. With the choke around 20% it sounded smooth and was a little higher RPM than idle should be. I put the choke off and the rpm's were so low the bike would have died. This might be due to the engine simply not being warm enough yet. I'll have to go for a ride to really test things

kz650 idles terribly 02 Sep 2017 15:32 #770203

• 650ed
  • User

pa317 wrote: ................... I put the choke off and the rpm's were so low the bike would have died..........

Did you adjust the throttle stop screw so it idles at about 1,000 rpm? Ed