Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Need some expert tuning advice... 22 Jan 2015 05:22 #659341

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2050
Fuel weeping from under the cap may indicate a blocked fuel tank vent. That can cause it to run fine until a vacuum is created in the tank, starving the engine. After parking it for a bit, heat from the engine can cause pressure to build up in the tank, forcing vapor out under the cap.
Try loosening the cap and taking a gentle ride, you don't wantto slosh fuel all over you crotch! There is no substitute for spotless and properly adjusted carbs, but a clogged vent may be adding to your woes.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Need some expert tuning advice... 22 Jan 2015 06:14 #659349

• Skiprrdog
  • Skiprrdog's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • "Are we there yet?"
  • Thank you received: 7
Thanks for the reply and the excellent diagrams. That is what is weird about this new problem I am having, beautiful idle with a nearly instantaneous bog when I put the engine under load, and only intermittent at that, almost like an electrical problem. Good advice too on the fuel filter, going to deploy one of those on the next iteration.

The good news is I am getting *really* fast at taking that carb bank off. One recent hack I discovered was taking my heat gun to those PITA boots between the airbox and carbs, soften them up a bit and they go on much easier B)
1983 KZ1100 A-3 Shaft
1976 KZ900
1975 H2 Triple
1984 Yamaha XJ900 Seca
1984 Harley Davidson FXRDG

#BlackBikesMatter

Need some expert tuning advice... 22 Jan 2015 07:05 #659356

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2609
I agree with Texas. Check the vent in the cap. If it is seeping that suggests high pressure in the tank thus gas pushing past the float valves flooding the engine. You may have more than one thing going on here. One thing at a time, fix it, move on. Check the plugs. They are a good indicator of what's happening.
Steve

Need some expert tuning advice... 22 Jan 2015 07:15 #659357

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014

Patton wrote:

Skiprrdog wrote: No, I did not remove the mixture caps. Do you think I should do that?

Yes, if all of us remove the anti-tamper plugs, there's way too many for the black helicopter guys to keep up with. :cheer:

Good Fortune! :)

They didn't allow or care for the fact a bike could sit unused for a long period of time. Gas turns to gunk quickly and clogs small passages. Their answer, BUY A NEW SET OF CARBS. Remove the anti tamper plugs so you can clean and adjust them.
As for the black choppers, I live between two Marine bases. I can tell when O Bummer has a push on by all the air traffic. I'm more concerned with the Chem trails almost every day.
Steve

Need some expert tuning advice... 22 Jan 2015 09:56 #659373

• Skiprrdog
  • User
  • "Are we there yet?"
Yeah, maybe a third cleaning will be the charm. This time I was thinking an ultrasonic cleaner, followed by carb cleaner/compressed air.

KZP's are *awesome*, I always had Harleys before this. The first time I got on it I cranked the throttle like I was on one of those 800# baggers, and the KZP went from zero to *holy sh#%* in the blink of an eye :woohoo:
1983 KZ1100 A-3 Shaft
1976 KZ900
1975 H2 Triple
1984 Yamaha XJ900 Seca

#BlackBikesMatter

Need some expert tuning advice... 22 Jan 2015 09:58 #659374

• Skiprrdog
  • User
  • "Are we there yet?"

TexasKZ wrote: Fuel weeping from under the cap may indicate a blocked fuel tank vent. That can cause it to run fine until a vacuum is created in the tank, starving the engine. After parking it for a bit, heat from the engine can cause pressure to build up in the tank, forcing vapor out under the cap.
Try loosening the cap and taking a gentle ride, you don't wantto slosh fuel all over you crotch! There is no substitute for spotless and properly adjusted carbs, but a clogged vent may be adding to your woes.

I agree with all that, but I am not sure if that is the problem; I took the cap apart yesterday and I am not seeing a problem there, not sure about inside the tank :side:
1983 KZ1100 A-3 Shaft
1976 KZ900
1975 H2 Triple
1984 Yamaha XJ900 Seca

#BlackBikesMatter

Need some expert tuning advice... 22 Jan 2015 10:01 #659375

• Skiprrdog
  • User
  • "Are we there yet?"

swest wrote:

Patton wrote:

Skiprrdog wrote: No, I did not remove the mixture caps. Do you think I should do that?

Yes, if all of us remove the anti-tamper plugs, there's way too many for the black helicopter guys to keep up with. :cheer:

They didn't allow or care for the fact a bike could sit unused for a long period of time. Gas turns to gunk quickly and clogs small passages. Their answer, BUY A NEW SET OF CARBS. Remove the anti tamper plugs so you can clean and adjust them.
As for the black choppers, I live between two Marine bases. I can tell when O Bummer has a push on by all the air traffic. I'm more concerned with the Chem trails almost every day.
Steve

O' Blah Blah... I wish a helicopter would fall on his head, beyond tired of that poseur :sick:
1983 KZ1100 A-3 Shaft
1976 KZ900
1975 H2 Triple
1984 Yamaha XJ900 Seca

#BlackBikesMatter

Need some expert tuning advice... 22 Jan 2015 10:17 #659377

• Skiprrdog
  • User
  • "Are we there yet?"
Think I might have dodged a bullet here. I happened to look at the oil sight glass last night, and thought, that cant be good. So I changed the oil and filter, again, and it looks like my original 3.9 quarts grew in volume...
1983 KZ1100 A-3 Shaft
1976 KZ900
1975 H2 Triple
1984 Yamaha XJ900 Seca

#BlackBikesMatter
Attachments:

Need some expert tuning advice... 22 Jan 2015 10:28 #659378

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
If not already done, would assure that the two carb vent hoses are serviceable and that both of them exit to open air.
The vents are needed to allow supply of incoming fuel into the float bowls.

This illustration may not be identical to carbs at hand --

Also assure the plugs at bottoms of pilot jets are present and in decent condition.

The plugs are needed to assure that gasoline reaches the pilot jet (and pilot jet circuit) only by going through the small passageway from above the main jet.
If the plug (or it's o'ring, if so fitted) is missing or damaged, gasoline from the float bowl may directly enter the pilot jet, which is not good, as the only gasoline that reaches the pilot jet is supposed to be coming through the small passageway.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

Last edit: by Patton.

Need some expert tuning advice... 22 Jan 2015 11:08 #659387

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014

Skiprrdog wrote:

swest wrote:

Patton wrote:

Steve

O' Blah Blah... I wish a helicopter would fall on his head, beyond tired of that poseur :sick:

Back atcha.

Need some expert tuning advice... 15 Feb 2015 07:02 #661669

• Skiprrdog
  • User
  • "Are we there yet?"
Well, the good news is I seem to have solved the carb issues. I think that the fourth removal and cleaning must have done the trick, that and spending another half a day and getting the fuel levels very closely dialed in to each other. As a last step I synchronized the carbs. When I was all done, all I can say is *wow* what a difference from where I started! I almost do not need the enrichener to start the bike, I can push it all the way in in less than a minute, and the idle is so smooth, you would think there is only one carb!

Thanks again for the help and suggestions from everyone, I could not have done it by myself. I learned a lot, and I will never fear a multiple carb bank again :laugh:
1983 KZ1100 A-3 Shaft
1976 KZ900
1975 H2 Triple
1984 Yamaha XJ900 Seca

#BlackBikesMatter

Last edit: by Skiprrdog.

Need some expert tuning advice... 15 Feb 2015 07:31 #661670

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Good for you. Now get out and ride the piss out of it. :woohoo:
Steve