• Page:

TOPIC:

Help in connecting Airbox to Carb 24 Jun 2006 20:45 #56887

• Wes_R
  • Wes_R's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi,

I just bought an 82 KZ1000. It needed a moderate amount of work. When I bought it, the carbs and airbox where removed and the owner said the carbs leaked and needed to be rebuild. I rebuilt them and seem to have them working ok now, but they need adjusting. I need to have them connected to the airbox/filter to do this.

As I said, when I bought the bike the carbs and airbox were removed. The rubber connectors were removed from the air box.

My first question is, are these boots different so a certain boot needs to go to a certain carb?

My next question is, is there a secret to connecting these boots to the carbs? I don't know if it's me and my fat fingers or a trick I don't suspect or is it just plain hard (impossible?) to do?

Right now the boots are pushed all the way into the airbox. Should I (or can I) have them in place and still mount the carbs?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Wes
82 KZ-1000 CSR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Help in connecting Airbox to Carb 24 Jun 2006 22:03 #56895

• The Gringo
  • User
  • ¡Usted no necesita otra motocicleta!
  • Thank you received: 11
Ok in answer to your first question, look at the 4 boots that you have, the two inside boots should both be straight looking. The two outer boots should have a curved part where they fit into the airbox (at least that is the setup on a 550. I'm guessing it is similar on your bike. Kawasaki lists 2 different part #s for the boots).

Now as to installing them a lot depends on how flexible these boots are. If you are lucky and they are all nice and pliable like they were when new then there is a slick little tool you can get to make the job easy. Back in the day when I worked at a Kaw dealer (and when I say back in the day I mean when your bike was new) we used to use a tool sold by Sears called a cotter key extractor it has a screwdriver type handle and a crazy looking L shaped kind of hook with a point on it. They still sell them should cost under $10.00. Once you get the carbs seated in the intake manifolds you use this little tool to ease the boots onto the back of the carbs. You just kind of slip it between the carb and the boot and work it around the throat of the carb, works slicker than snot on a doorknob.

If however you are unlucky like a lot of the rest of us and your boots are hardened up you can check Jeff at Z-1 Ent. for a new set of boots or there are several threads here with different tips on softening up boots. Hope this was some help.
Andy
Akron, Ohio
80 Z-1 Classic-Sold
84 GPZ1100
79 KZ 1000 LTD
78 KZ 1000 A2
77 KZ 1000 LTD-Sold
76 KZ 900 The definition of a barn find
76 KZ 900-Sold gone to Denmark
KZ 750 times 3, KZ 650 times 8 Sold 1 down to 7
KZ 550 times 2 80 440LTD-Sold
81 CSR 305-Sold 81 Yamaha XS650 Special

Help in connecting Airbox to Carb 24 Jun 2006 22:11 #56896

• Wes_R
  • User
Thanks Gringo.

I think I'm closer to the unlucky situation. The boots aren't too flexible. I will also have take a closer look at the boots. I thought they all had an offset that was about the same, but I didn't look all that close.

I will also look into that cotter key extractor.

Wes
82 KZ-1000 CSR

Help in connecting Airbox to Carb 24 Jun 2006 22:58 #56900

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
I got rid of the extra posts for you :)

Voice of experience on the 82 KZ1000, get new boots!! I (and my nephew) spent five hours putting original aged stiff boots on a 82 KZ1000 CSR, when I had to pull the carbs to install the new float needle valves on the same bike (after giving it to my brother) I insisted that he order new boots. With the new boots it only took me 10 minutes to put them back on.

All the boots are the same, and Z1 Enterprises is the best place I know to get them.

You do have to twist the boots around to get them lined up though, they are offset.
KD9JUR

Help in connecting Airbox to Carb 25 Jun 2006 06:31 #56927

• Wes_R
  • User
Sounds like new boots from Z1 is the real solution. I'm taking that route. Thanks.

Anyone know where I can find a new spring for the boots? I'm missing one. The only one I found at z1 I'm not sure will fix my bike.

82 KZ1000 M2 CSR

Wes
82 KZ-1000 CSR

Help in connecting Airbox to Carb 25 Jun 2006 08:38 #56957

• steell
  • User
Give Jeff at Z1 Enterprises a call (or send him an e-mail), if he don't have them he can probably get them or tell you where you can.
KD9JUR

Help in connecting Airbox to Carb 25 Jun 2006 09:47 #56980

• ambergrismooon
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 2
Once you get the new boots fold them over and get them into the airbox. Then install the carbs and then unfold the boots onto the carbs. Here is a quick fold over illustration. It's how I do it anyway! I guess there are many ways!
Attachments:

Help in connecting Airbox to Carb 25 Jun 2006 11:56 #57026

• Wes_R
  • User
I think that seals it. My boots must be old an hard because there is no way I could fold them over like you suggested. Good idea though. Now I just have to wait for the new boots to arrive.
82 KZ-1000 CSR

Help in connecting Airbox to Carb 25 Jun 2006 12:51 #57036

• steell
  • User
You won't believe the difference between the old ones and the new ones :D
KD9JUR

Help in connecting Airbox to Carb 26 Jun 2006 05:15 #57192

• trippivot
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
if you use a heat gun or hair dryer it will soften them up enough to get them installed easier.

Help in connecting Airbox to Carb 29 Jun 2006 15:40 #58130

• Wes_R
  • User
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone. The new boots were the real answer and what a difference! The fold back idea also worked well.
82 KZ-1000 CSR

Help in connecting Airbox to Carb 30 Jun 2006 05:15 #58218

• tw..
  • User
if your ever in a pinch and and have to install those stiff boots try heating them with a heat gun. it really works but you have to work fast they will re-harden as they cool.
2-1976 KZ900 A4
1995 KZ1000 Police bike
1978 Z1R

• Page: