Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Anyone know if the carb spacing is the same as the EFI spacing on a 750 Turbo Kawi? 19 Oct 2005 11:17 #2783

• CruisingRam
  • CruisingRam's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 15
Someone told me they had the same spacing as the carbs on a Z1- and that you could use the EFI manifold and throttle bodies off a GPZ 750 turbo- as a EFI conversion for Z motors- anyone know if that is true?
1975 Z1 B 900- soon to be heavily modded
Pahoa, Hawaii is my new hom
I am working hard to save up the shipping money to get my shop opened here in Hawaii
I hate electrical stuff.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Anyone know if the carb spacing is the same as the EFI spacing on a 750 Turbo Kawi? 19 Oct 2005 11:59 #2794

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
I haven't seen Lorcan around since we moved but he will be able to answer your question:

750turbo.com/home.htm

In any case, I think the main problem you will run into is that you need the cylinder head from the turbo bike in order to use the fuel injection junk. Fitting the head will be the trick near as I can tell as they very likely don't do the cam chain stuff the same on the GPZ 750 engine as they do on a Z1.

Get Lorcan's take on what would be needed and you might want to ask him about adapting a turbo cylinder head to a 903cc bottom.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Anyone know if the carb spacing is the same as the EFI spacing on a 750 Turbo Kawi? 19 Oct 2005 13:10 #2805

• bob_z1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I'm not certain but I think they will bolt right up to a Z-1 head. Only the early EFI(80-81) had a head with ports for the injectors I beleive.
I know the GPz1100 injectors will fit the 750Turbo, and 33 Mikunis from a Z-1 will fit a GPz1100.......
later! Bob

Anyone know if the carb spacing is the same as the EFI spacing on a 750 Turbo Kawi? 19 Oct 2005 21:42 #2904

• Dave Sloan
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Hey guys,
Im almost 100% certain that htey will fit, I have a set of GPZ11a2 (ZX1100?) throttle bodies on my z 650 and the spacing was the same, even used the 1100 mounting rubbers. You are also right when you said that hte GPZ11B1 had the injectors in the head but the b2 and the A2 have the injectors in the throttle bodies.

Cheers

Dave
Z650B2 - Injected

Anyone know if the carb spacing is the same as the EFI spacing on a 750 Turbo Kawi? 20 Oct 2005 04:02 #2939

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
No you don't need to change the head to switch to fuel injection, one of my many projects in progress is adding fuel injection to a 750 twin using GSXR throttle bodies. GSXR throttle bodies will fit into the J model carb holders, and they are much more easily available than the 1100 or Turbo throttle bodies, although you have to change the spacing on the GSXR throttle bodies to make them fit the 750/1000/1100 motors. A lot of people have retrofitted fuel injection to notorcycles, and every single one has been pleased with the results, they all claim more power and better fuel mileage.

Google for MegaSquirt :D
KD9JUR

Anyone know if the carb spacing is the same as the EFI spacing on a 750 Turbo Kawi? 20 Oct 2005 17:19 #3073

• CruisingRam
  • User
I don't need to stinkin' google MS- I got it on favorites! LOL

www.msefi.com/viewforum.php?f=29
I am working hard to save up the shipping money to get my shop opened here in Hawaii
I hate electrical stuff.

Anyone know if the carb spacing is the same as the EFI spacing on a 750 Turbo Kawi? 20 Oct 2005 17:49 #3080

• steell
  • User
CruisingRam wrote:

I don't need to stinkin' google MS- I got it on favorites! LOL

www.msefi.com/viewforum.php?f=29

I have one sitting on the bench :laugh:
KD9JUR

Anyone know if the carb spacing is the same as the EFI spacing on a 750 Turbo Kawi? 21 Oct 2005 23:05 #3373

• CruisingRam
  • User
I have done the MS swap on two vehicles, but no bikes yet- I am hoping this winter all that changes- and I upgrade something to EFI this year.

I think the Z1 will be the easiest to swap, I will probably make a manifold sometime this year if I can get some spare time to do it.
I hate electrical stuff.

Anyone know if the carb spacing is the same as the EFI spacing on a 750 Turbo Kawi? 22 Oct 2005 04:19 #3387

• steell
  • User
You can use the J model rubber manifolds, and then the GSXR or GPz1100 throttle bodies will bolt right on. And I suppose you already know that the external, frame mounted, fuel pump off an 87-90 something six cyclinder Ford F150 will work great and last almost forever :D

There is lots of info on motorcycle throttle bodies on the MS website. Did you see the video of Rick's 313 mph MegaSquirted motorcycle streamliner at Bonneville that he posted to the MS mailing list (couple of years ago)?
KD9JUR

Anyone know if the carb spacing is the same as the EFI spacing on a 750 Turbo Kawi? 22 Oct 2005 08:41 #3426

• CruisingRam
  • User
I have always pretty much gone straight to the manual there, not on the forums much, but I was thinking more in tank fuel pump- off a hayabusa, and one throttle body- for simplicity.
I hate electrical stuff.

Anyone know if the carb spacing is the same as the EFI spacing on a 750 Turbo Kawi? 22 Oct 2005 15:55 #3475

• Dave Sloan
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
I used the pump,injectors, fuel pressure reg all off of the ZX1100 (Uni trac gpz11). I have noticed that at idle I am getting a map reading of 76kpa which is quite high. I might have to use Alpha-N instesd of speed density. Although Arrtuon the ms forum has similar map readings and has tuned it successfully.I think that the single TB gives a stronger mao signal and does not have to have the fluctuations damped out.

Cheers

Dave
Z650B2 - Injected

Anyone know if the carb spacing is the same as the EFI spacing on a 750 Turbo Kawi? 23 Oct 2005 09:16 #3599

• Wolfman@SparksAmerica
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Ram, I would advise agains using just one Throttle Body as the duty cycle for most injectors is just 80%, and that is for one cyl. just think what the duty cycle would have to be if it was 1 injector fueling 4 cyl. might be a bear to tune let alone needing to be the size of a small car throttle body.

• Page: