TOPIC:

OOOH NOOOOO!!!!!!! 08 Nov 2007 14:09 #180165

• mark1122
  • mark1122's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
  • Thank you received: 109
Corey do u know how it is with gas?
I've herd back from a lot of guys that have had success with JB weld and since i dont have a local guy here that does micro welding ive gone ahead and used the jb.
i have not heard of any failures with the jb but it does seem to get degraded by gas in time.it seems to me the next logical step would be to cover the jb weld with a sealer to keep the gas off it. So the next question is who can recomend a sealant? maybee a gasket glue of some kind ?
76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

OOOH NOOOOO!!!!!!! 08 Nov 2007 20:50 #180232

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
  • Thank you received: 13
Mark,I know that what I did in My carb lasted for SURE more than 2 years(probably more like 5 years).I pulled the carbs off the sled when I parted it out,and I opened the carbs then,and it was still intact.Can't say that the JB weld was "Mushy" or anything.As far as I remember,it was still firm,BUT...the carb was dry at that point,and had been dry for a while.
For 5 years though(sitting in gas),it did do it's job.B)
1977 KZ1000 A-1

OOOH NOOOOO!!!!!!! 08 Nov 2007 21:44 #180237

• Norseman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Mark,

I did the same thing on my GS650 last year - before I learned to place a small socket underneath the opposite post before tapping the pin out.

Like so many, I used JB Weld and it has held up fine for a year. However, before applying the JB Weld, I drilled a tiny hole above the fracture and one below. Then I applied the JB Weld, threaded a thin stainless steel wire through both holes. Then I twisted the wire tight with pliers, snipped off extra leaving about 1/8" "tail", bent that in, and then finished off with liberally applying JB Weld to cover a good part of the fracture area and the stainless steel wire.

It turned out great and was quite strong. I did this on another post that I found fractured already. As WG advised, use a small bit and enlarge the hole a little, just enough so it doesn't require pressure to fit. That pin won't go anywhere once the float bowl is back on. Why Mikuni designed with press-fit on those pins is anyone's guess - my guess is it was a "design-for-assembly" issue.

OOOH NOOOOO!!!!!!! 09 Nov 2007 05:43 #180265

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
I see about 20 broken posts for the GS series of BS carb compared to the ones for the KZ series of BS carb. The float pivot pin is the same, near as I can tell... just that the GS hole is ever so slightly smaller in diameter. Probably doesn't do any harm to run a drill bit through any of the post pin holes to enlarge them a tad. As has been noted, the pin can't go anywhere. Note that the pins on the VM carbs fit far more loosely than do the BS pins and never fall out.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

OOOH NOOOOO!!!!!!! 09 Nov 2007 14:55 #180352

• mark1122
  • mark1122's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
  • Thank you received: 109
The rs pins are way too tight. i took your good advice once again George , but rather than take all the carbs off the rack to gain access to drill the posts . i filed the pins instead. works good.
any advice on a sealer to keep the gas off of the JB weld ?
76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

• Page: