Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Something for the non-purist 15 Dec 2005 18:33 #13392

• MaD MiKe
  • MaD MiKe's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I thought someone might be interested in this..

tinyurl.com/cp35x

I've been planning and gathering parts and pieces for around two years so finally I started my DIY EFI on my 79KZ1000E1.. I am finding out what it's like to fit 10lbs. of stuff into a 5lb. box.. :laugh:

I am using a Megasquirt ECU to control the injectors and will be using the 79KZ OEM electronic ignition to run the spark.. This has and is a lot of fun and at this point in time I am looking forward to getting this monstor up and running...

I've already got my sights set on the next project and that will encompass DIY EFI and a turbocharger on my 80KZ1000E2..

This stuff is fun and addicting to say the least..

MaD MiKe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Something for the non-purist 15 Dec 2005 19:24 #13400

• Johnno
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Hey Mike,

I had a little trouble with your tiny URL, looks the the h is missing on the front.

pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rmmnam/album?.dir...oo.com/ph//my_photos

I plan on starting EFI over the winter if I ever get some free time. What are you using for a fuel pump?

Something for the non-purist 16 Dec 2005 02:25 #13430

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
Looking good.

That MSI box is a lot larger than I thought they were from reading on MSI site. Of course I neglected to read the dimensions :-)

I would also like to know what you are using for a fuel pump.

I plan to put MSI on the 87 police motor along with Eaton M45 mechanical blower but am still in the parts gathering phase. If anyone has an MSI kit or M45 kicking around...hint...

Also, looking for suggestions re: a CVT that might be squeezed into a home made crank case.

-Duck

Something for the non-purist 16 Dec 2005 03:46 #13431

• MaD MiKe
  • User
Johnno wrote:

Hey Mike,

I had a little trouble with your tiny URL, looks the the h is missing on the front.

pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rmmnam/album?.dir...oo.com/ph//my_photos

I plan on starting EFI over the winter if I ever get some free time. What are you using for a fuel pump?

I have a Walbro model number 532-13397-1M which is enough pressure to supply fuel to the OEM injectors rated at 45 P.S.I. at 100% duty cycle (If you run 100% duty cycle all you are 100% trying to blow your engine :?) 80% is realistic )... These are low impedance injectors so if you are doing the MS you might want to add the the Flyback Board which takes the place of adding resistors...

Something for the non-purist 16 Dec 2005 04:06 #13432

• MaD MiKe
  • User
Duck wrote:

Looking good.

That MSI box is a lot larger than I thought they were from reading on MSI site. Of course I neglected to read the dimensions :-)

I would also like to know what you are using for a fuel pump.

I plan to put MSI on the 87 police motor along with Eaton M45 mechanical blower but am still in the parts gathering phase. If anyone has an MSI kit or M45 kicking around...hint...

Also, looking for suggestions re: a CVT that might be squeezed into a home made crank case.

-Duck

I am not familiar with your acronym "CVT" so if you can expound on this I might be able to help..

The blower would be cool but the blower carries a few more problems than a turbocharger.

Number one is it takes HP to make HP with a blower as you are pulling HP off the crank to turn the blower.. With the turbo you are using expended exhaust gasses that are free..

Number Two is the efficency of a blower is rated at 50% and a turbocharger at 70% which simple means that the compressor on the blower will pump in hotter compressed air than the turbo which decreases the air density.. You "need to run" an intercooler on the blower to bring the charge temp down and you can get by without an intercooler on the turbo although it will help bring up it's efficiency also..

A plus for the blower is "instant boost!!"

I also have all the goodies for turboing my 80KZ1000E2!! :) < pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rmmnam/album?.dir...oo.com/ph//my_photos > You might have to copy and paste this link.. :blink:

There are various venders for the MS but the most reputable and reliable dealer I have found for completed MSs is www.rs-autosport.com/

I am no way affilated with MS or RS Autosports!! I am just and average Joe in the quest for HP..

Something for the non-purist 16 Dec 2005 04:48 #13433

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
CVT = Constant Velocity Transmission, just researching, no plans.

www.automotive.eaton.com/product/engine_...uperchargers/M45.asp

No room for intercooler. Maybe down the road.

-Duck

Something for the non-purist 16 Dec 2005 05:13 #13437

• MaD MiKe
  • User
Duck wrote:

CVT = Constant Velocity Transmission, just researching, no plans.

www.automotive.eaton.com/product/engine_...uperchargers/M45.asp

No room for intercooler. Maybe down the road.

-Duck

Thanks for the link....

That's how all this stuff started was research, and now the implementation..

Don't let my comments sway you in any way as a blower on a bike is absoultely fandamntastic and it looks great.. You just have the possiblility of holing a piston with detonation with a non-intercooled blower vs a non-intercoolered turbo... Even with both applications it is prudent to install forged low compression pistons to disipate the higher heat the forced induction produces..

Jost throwing ideas and facts at you sir, for your research..

Something for the non-purist 16 Dec 2005 05:20 #13438

• MaD MiKe
  • User
Duck if you are looking for something to drive the blower off the crank you can gear drive the blower and have interchangeable gears to increase or decrease the boost.. Heck as a matter of fact even if it is belt driven you can increase or decrease the pully sizes to do the same.. Eaton should be able to set you up with the pulley dimensions you will need and you would more than likely run on the street with no more than 8lbs boost using 90+ octance gas..

Is this what you are looking for???

Something for the non-purist 16 Dec 2005 07:16 #13461

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Mikey! Doctor Project himself!!! When you gonna finish one of those projects and ride down this way and visit? Roy was down about two weeks ago and said the weather is nasty up your way. He was trying to get out of the Chicago area as it was snowing to beat all! Lucky you have all that snow... gives you time to work on those "projects" bwhahahaha (guess i shouldn't tease as I have two unstarted projects myself sitting in the bike-ports)
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Something for the non-purist 16 Dec 2005 07:55 #13473

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
Mike-

This is a make do project. Hoping to find an M45 with a good bypass valve for $150 or so. See 'em on ebay for $200 but I want local so I can touch before I buy :-).

Already have GPz throttle bodies and looking at injector options. Will flow match them for sure.

Drive will depend on which end the 'found' blower wants to be driven from. Either way by belt. Extra idler will be required to reverse but not too much power loss with it. I'll just calculate the ratio from Eaton's specs. Can make pulleys here.

It's for fun, not all out power. I'll be happy with 140 net HP.

-Duck

Something for the non-purist 16 Dec 2005 11:25 #13495

• MaD MiKe
  • User
Depending on your intake valve size (the exhaust will be already matched to the intake ;) ) you can figure out an "estimated BHP" and with that quanity noted then add an estimated 10HP per pound of boost and this will get you close..

Check out the superchargers that are on eBay, that have been removed from the Jap cars and or Buick/Pontiacs.. Those will work..

As far as fitment you can turn it 180 degrees to work off of either side you want to drive from..

The GPZ injectors, if you have them, will work just fine as they are matched for an 1100cc engine.. I sent my injectors off and had them cleaned and flow checked.. I told them if there were any that were way off send that back anyway and I will just purchase some new ones.. The old solenoid cores can be used incase if the pintle etal is FUBAR'd..

Just food for thought Duck, I ain't be pushy.. ;)

This stuff is fun!!!!!

Something for the non-purist 16 Dec 2005 11:33 #13497

• MaD MiKe
  • User
Hey you old rascal what in the wide, wide world are you up to??? LOL!!

Hey this summer might be the time.. I am officially retired as of Dec. 1st and the checks just keep comin..
I gotta get down and seeya and maybe I can coordinate with Roy and piggy back down on one of his trucks..
:laugh:

I am seriousely in the middle of the EFI install and once it is up and running I should have a fresh engine with painted metal and plastic and we are gonna roll...
As you can see I have the other project in the planning also.. I just can't rest!!! When I run out of bikes to build I'm just gonna have to ride-em.. BWHAHAHAHA!!!

HEY!! I want you to know we love the snow... It keeps the tarantulas and scopion population down.. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Until next time

Vios con Dios, mi amigo...

• Page: