Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

bike STILL in the shop 15 Apr 2007 21:40 #130601

• fdmc_99
  • fdmc_99's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
well i took my kz1000 on april 2nd. they said they would be starting on it about 830am that moring. im getting my carbs cleaned, and new kits put in them all, and syncronized. i also had to get them to up the main jet size 2 sizes, because i bought new pods for the carbs. so they called me at the end on the first day and said that they had to order some main jets in because they didnt have the right sizes in stock. so fine they didnt get them till the middle of last week. so i called and they said all was going good, he said phone back in a couple hours, he said there just tuning it up now. so i phoned back later that day, then he said they need to order some differnt pilot in now, he said it was running to lean. so i said fine, i asked him about how much csh im looking at so far, he said bare minimum 500 bucks just labour. am i being screwed arund here? i bought the kits, i bought the pods. i called the shop at the end of last fall and asked them how much it was to do this, at that time they said 250-300, now t 500 minumum????,i dont want to start freakin out on them YET, they still do have my bike, i dont want to make them FU** anytihng up on puprpose. but damn hom much will this cost, and why the hell dont they have anything in stock, it is a jap dealership and service shop. i just think im being screwed with. i dunno

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

bike STILL in the shop 15 Apr 2007 21:47 #130604

• austin3119
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
Ouch. You could have just ordered a set ready to go from wired george for less than that.

bike STILL in the shop 15 Apr 2007 21:59 #130606

• oldkaws4ever
  • User
  • Have no regrets...... You only live once.
  • Thank you received: 12
i just went through this with my z1 900. One of my "buddy's" said to bring the 900 up to the shop were he works and they would sync the carbs, i thought ok cool, right???? nope i guess my friend went out to lunch and somebody else screwed it up. well i took it for a ride and it was spittin and popping, i was so pissed off i turned around and demanded my money back. the guy asked what was wrong?, i said it was running like it was starving for gas. they gave me my money back, i sat in the parking lot for a 1/2 hour screwing with the fuel/air screws, some idiot turned them all the way in:evil: :evil: :evil: :angry: It took me 2 days tinkering to get them right but she rode great after. If i was you fdmc i would just go to the shop and get the bike back and fix what they have no doughtebly screwed up. best of luck
74 Z1a 900 (Apart and making it better than ever)
77 Kz 650b (Threw a rod, going to sandwich in a 900 or 1000 motor)
76 Kz 400d
05 ninja zx-636
81 Kz 750 Ltd
Darien, Illinois

15 Apr 2007 22:39 #130613

• KZ250LTD
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.

Last edit: by KZ250LTD.

bike STILL in the shop 15 Apr 2007 22:45 #130614

• AR15Ron
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
Yeah I agree. $500 is ridiculous. Unless they are charging you $250 an hour how do they get that figure? Sounds like your getting boned, I'd complain, loudly. See if you can get the bike back for a minimum fee and just send the carbs to wiredgeorge instead. I very much doubt that you are going to get his level of service from any shop. They must be incompetant if it takes them so long they have a $500 LABOR fee. Tell them to stop LEARNING on your bike at your expense! At $75 an hour I come up with $300 for four hours. Dunno if someone has a time estimate, I'm just guessing 4-5 hour job. $375 for 5 hours. They want to keep ordering the wrong parts why should you have to pay for it? I'd be pissed.

R.

---- 16 Apr 2007 07:11 #130677

• H1Vindicator
  • User
  • Thank you received: 45
----

Last edit: by H1Vindicator.

bike STILL in the shop 16 Apr 2007 07:30 #130679

• bigbadwolf76
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Hell, my dealership quoted "AT LEAST $900 for parts and labor" on the carbs alone! (They knew I got the bike for free)

My skid marks from peeling out when I left are still there. :)

Matt

bike STILL in the shop 16 Apr 2007 07:37 #130682

• The Gringo
  • User
  • ¡Usted no necesita otra motocicleta!
  • Thank you received: 11
bigbadwolf76 wrote:

Hell, my dealership quoted "AT LEAST $900 for parts and labor" on the carbs alone! (They knew I got the bike for free)

My skid marks from peeling out when I left are still there. :)

Matt

Even after all the struggles you went through getting your carbs unstuck and such, it still would not warrant a $900.00 repair bill. I wish someone would be willing to pay me $900.00 to clean a set of VM carbs and I'd be willing to bet Wired George would as well.B)
Andy
Akron, Ohio
80 Z-1 Classic-Sold
84 GPZ1100
79 KZ 1000 LTD
78 KZ 1000 A2
77 KZ 1000 LTD-Sold
76 KZ 900 The definition of a barn find
76 KZ 900-Sold gone to Denmark
KZ 750 times 3, KZ 650 times 8 Sold 1 down to 7
KZ 550 times 2 80 440LTD-Sold
81 CSR 305-Sold 81 Yamaha XS650 Special

bike STILL in the shop 16 Apr 2007 07:39 #130683

• bigbadwolf76
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1

Even after all the struggles you went through getting your carbs unstuck and such, it still would not warrant a $900.00 repair bill. I wish someone would be willing to pay me $900.00 to clean a set of VM carbs and I'd be willing to bet Wired George would as well.B)

Exactly! It was a learning experience for me, which is totally fine with me. I was just wanting to get on the road faster. hah!

How's your "Brillo Pad Special" coming along? :-D I think I'll be able to get mine started this week!

bike STILL in the shop 16 Apr 2007 08:03 #130686

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
This is the major problem with older bikes, isn't it? My friends shop will not look at anything older than 10-12 years old. He is tired of fixing one thing, then 2 days later the guy comes back with a new problem, totally unrelated to the first repair, and says "You touched it last, fix it."

I know many of the people on this board know how to maintain and tune a bike as old as our lovely KZ's. But I think the reality is, many mechanics who will work on the old bikes will do no better than you and your manual could. In the OKC area (approx.400,000 pop.) there are two guys who come recommended, who know the older bikes and can repair them, but it does cost. There are even more guys who say they can work on them, but their reputations don't back them up. Two guys in a major metropolitan area...that's it. I know the riders in rural areas are probably stuck for help.

I believe if you want to ride older bikes then you need to learn how to do some work on them, even something like carb tuning can be accomplished, there are plenty of resources available to learn from. I had to learn as I wanted an old bike and had no money for repairs, plus I had the time to putter around on it. If you don't have time to learn, and still want to ride old bikes, then break out the wallet and try not to yell ouch too loud. I hope everything works out for you.
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

bike STILL in the shop 16 Apr 2007 11:22 #130758

• kzwolfsr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
Shoulda gone George!
1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

bike STILL in the shop 16 Apr 2007 12:13 #130772

• wireman
  • Visitor
wireman gets even #368 motorcyle shop bones ya for $400.00 for valve cover gasket and cleans carbs which werent that bad to begin with in early 90s.ya go to the nearest bank (have friend take you in his truck)and tell them you need $400.00 worth of pennys,they will look at you like youre nuts but they will do it just because youre so pissed at the world you look unstable and could snap!load your numerous bags of pennys in back of truck,then go home and get wheel barrel and proceed to $@#%#@$ &%%^&&& motorcycle shop park beside building so they cant see what you are doing and dump your $400.00 worth of pennys in wheel barrel and have your buddy help you roll it into main shop door of very busy shop and deposit $400.00 worth of pennys in a very messy pile on floar and watch the look on everybodys face as they loose it except shop owner, watch bald spot on top of his head change many shades of red and yell where the hell is my bike????????????? he has to give you your bike because you have paid him with $400.00 worth of pennys (certain police department will attest to this!:evil: :P )roll your bike out door and never return!:whistle: ;)

• Page: