Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Home made intake filter IDEA? 06 Apr 2007 12:27 #127101

• pstrbrc
  • User
  • '81 GPz 1100 project
  • Thank you received: 9
If you're looking for a single air filter here's one from Uni Filter that's 4" long with a 3" throat opening.
Unifilter UP4300ST
Best part is, it's only $19 + shipping!
They also stock a 6" long one too. part# UP6300ST
\'81 GPz 1100 project
Elkhart, Kansas USA
\"Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him.\" Groucho Marx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Home made intake filter IDEA? 06 Apr 2007 12:44 #127106

• wireman
  • Visitor
kzwolfsr wrote:

Charge air means I have the airduct mounted in the front so when I ride the bike the air is pushed into the carbs,etc by the bikes speed, like on the yamaha Vmax. So that would almost give it more power like a turbo. I would buy 2 long ones that are routed to the front and when it comes back to the carbs, just split it into 2. Plus have a filter somewhere in the system that would allow it to get air but at the same time stay dry, and easy removal for cleaning. Got to go back to work, hows the clutch?

ram-air;)

Home made intake filter IDEA? 06 Apr 2007 13:01 #127110

• Wizzard
  • Wizzard's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
True ram air or charged air systems, to make a true diference the speed you would have to travel to make enough air travel through the system on a bike to make a horse power diference would be in the neighbour hood of 200+mi thats why ram air was never keeped in the main streem on cars. Was a good plan in therory but in the real world never practial. Will be out tomorrow workin on the bike hopefully warmmer tomorrow. Hoping the clutch dried out and thats why it was slippin now that its been in oil for a few days we will see but probley will have to replace it.:S
1977 KZ 1000
4-1 Headder
K&N filter
530 Chain & Sprokets
Rear Air Shocks

Home made intake filter IDEA? 06 Apr 2007 13:06 #127111

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 435
Like this ?
Cant remember where I got the pic or who makes it

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
Attachments:

Home made intake filter IDEA? 06 Apr 2007 13:10 #127112

• Wizzard
  • User
I'v seen that on ebay nice but bidding always goes to high. I'm thinkin longer tubing and a large cone type filter.
1977 KZ 1000
4-1 Headder
K&N filter
530 Chain & Sprokets
Rear Air Shocks

Home made intake filter IDEA? 06 Apr 2007 13:55 #127122

• stone_cold
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Wizzard wrote:

True ram air or charged air systems, to make a true diference the speed you would have to travel to make enough air travel through the system on a bike to make a horse power diference would be in the neighbour hood of 200+mi thats why ram air was never keeped in the main streem on cars.

True, but cool air is always better than hot air and it will make a difference in power if for no other reason than because cool air is denser --- ask anybody with an old GTO.

Ram Air is on many newer cars, they just don't call it that any more. Even my old 1980 Mercedes 240D (the slowest car in the world) has the air intake ahead of the radiator in the air stream.

Velocity Stacks do nothing but speed the air up by venturi effect which increases air speed only slightly but sometimes that's all that's needed.

Just my opinion ---- hey! and I've been wrong before..... today even
:unsure:

Later,
Tony T

Home made intake filter IDEA? 06 Apr 2007 14:00 #127124

• Wizzard
  • User
stone_cold wrote:

Wizzard wrote:

True ram air or charged air systems, to make a true diference the speed you would have to travel to make enough air travel through the system on a bike to make a horse power diference would be in the neighbour hood of 200+mi thats why ram air was never keeped in the main streem on cars.

True, but cool air is always better than hot air and it will make a difference in power if for no other reason than because cool air is denser --- ask anybody with an old GTO.

Ram Air is on many newer cars, they just don't call it that any more. Even my old 1980 Mercedes 240D (the slowest car in the world) has the air intake ahead of the radiator in the air stream.

Velocity Stacks do nothing but speed the air up by venturi effect which increases air speed only slightly but sometimes that's all that's needed.

Just my opinion ---- hey! and I've been wrong before..... today even
:unsure:

Later,
Tony T

No your right cold air is better. Also cold fuel is to thats why old school drag racers use to run their fuel lines through cans of ice.
1977 KZ 1000
4-1 Headder
K&N filter
530 Chain & Sprokets
Rear Air Shocks

Home made intake filter IDEA? 06 Apr 2007 14:10 #127125

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
H1Vindicator wrote:

Or... here's a truly homemade air filter idea using Scotch Brite pads - by The Gringo. JMK. ...

<br><br>Post edited by: H1Vindicator, at: 2007/04/06 14:29

The way an air filter works is the crap in the air doesn't make turns as easily as the air. If you make the air go through a long sticky tube with a lot of turns, the crap gets stuck at all the corners. Oiled foam is a LOT more like this than the Scotchbrite. If you can breathe easily through the foam, it will make a fine air filter.

-Duck

Home made intake filter IDEA? 06 Apr 2007 14:39 #127138

• Wizzard
  • User
Yep I understand all that. I plan on using flexable tubing to elimate and hard turns and to make the path for the air as smooth as posible.
1977 KZ 1000
4-1 Headder
K&N filter
530 Chain & Sprokets
Rear Air Shocks

Home made intake filter IDEA? 08 Apr 2007 09:55 #127683

• JimatMilkyWay
  • User
  • Thank you received: 12
Wizzard wrote:

Yep I understand all that. I plan on using flexable tubing to elimate and hard turns and to make the path for the air as smooth as posible.

I think you may have missed Mr. Duck's intended point. Or possibly I missed it. The "long sticky tube" is the path air has to take in it's travel from the inlet side, to the exit of your air filter. He is saying that lightly oiled foam is a superb air filter material because of the miniature-scale sticky tubes. It is probably better, even, than most pleated-paper off-the-shelf filters, and is lightyears ahead of scotchbrite. Better filters, weather oil or air, are a consideration for extended engine life. The more sand and generally dirty air your engine ingests, the more/faster it wears. On a drag bike, with subsequent short interval rebuilds this is not so important, I guess.

Post edited by: JimatMilkyWay, at: 2007/04/08 12:57

Home made intake filter IDEA? 08 Apr 2007 10:18 #127688

• Wizzard
  • User
Ok I thought he ment the tubing not the filter I'm going to use a proper filter on mine.
1977 KZ 1000
4-1 Headder
K&N filter
530 Chain & Sprokets
Rear Air Shocks

Home made intake filter IDEA? 08 Apr 2007 10:27 #127692

• JimatMilkyWay
  • User
  • Thank you received: 12
Wizzard wrote:

Ok I thought he ment the tubing not the filter I'm going to use a proper filter on mine.

I forgot to mention that your idea about the smooth tubing into the carb is valid as well. When air leaves the filter, the straighter and shorter the path, from the filter exit to the carb intake, the better.