• Page:

TOPIC:

Fuel goes where? 15 Jan 2007 19:04 #105964

• kzwolfsr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
Wher has WireGeorge been recently? I miss that expert advice
1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Fuel goes where? 16 Jan 2007 13:25 #106117

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 375

Can you describe your leak in more detail Nick? Is it the same problem as Kazoo?

It's been a few years since my leaking problem, but it was diferent to Kazoo's.
I think my problem was that my petcock (:laugh: ) didn't turn off. Kept flowing when the bike was not running.
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

Fuel goes where? 18 Jan 2007 08:09 #106598

• KaZooCruiser
  • KaZooCruiser's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
rstnick wrote:

I ordered that "overengineered, rubber seal with four holes in it" from a Kawi dealer, to repair a leak I had about two years ago, and that solved my problem. My petcock was just dripping at the time if I recall correctly.

Thanks for the information. . .I went to Bikebandit and looked for a while at the listings there. . .and couldn't find a picture of my petcock, which led me to think it might not be available. . .but your post let me know it is. . .or was. . .what did that part end up costing you at the time?

Fuel goes where? 18 Jan 2007 08:32 #106604

• KaZooCruiser
  • KaZooCruiser's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
problemKZ wrote:

I too am having problems with the #2 cylinder and gas. Everytime I start it up the drain tube on the second carb. just gushes fuel. Does anyone know what would cause this.

You might try the following. . .

Tap the side of the #2 carburetor on the bowl and see if the leak stops, maybe the float needle is trapping some dirt, holding it off the seat. If that doesn't work, you might have a float that has gotten heavy because it has failed (has gas inside of it) or maybe the needle/seat has gone bad or trash is trapped somewhere else, holding the needle valve open. Any of this requires removal of the bowl to check. I had a pice of rubber hose flake off and settle on top of a needle valve, and the only way to fix that was to unscrew the valve seat from the carburetor to remove it. Try any of this, and start a new thread if you still are having trouble. . .welcome to the forum / website. . .

Fuel goes where? 18 Jan 2007 11:46 #106643

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 375
I can't remember the cost, but was probably $5~$15.
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

Fuel goes where? 19 Jan 2007 00:26 #106750

• inline79
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
I, for one, have successfully rebuilt my pet-cock (:laugh: ). How long it will last I'm not sure.

Mine was flowing a bit of gas all the time and also dripping gas around the knob.

I bought the full rebuild kit from Kawasaki which included the new diaphragm/seal as well as a couple o-rings and that fancy "over-engineered" rubber bit. The diaphragm itself was useless and a waste of $30 - don't buy this part! I replaced the spring in the diaphragm to give it a bit more strength in sealing the petcock and replaced the over-engineered bit (which really, you could also flip over to re-use.

If the petcock is running down your reserve in the "On" position I can think of two ways it could possibly do this:

1. It leaks through the over-engineered rubber bit from the reserve port to the fuel outlet port (which then leads to the diaphragm and stopper) even when set to On.

2. It leaks in at the plastic stem that gets inserted into the fuel tank. A crack or bad seal at the base of the "On" stem would drain the fuel tank past the reserve point.

What I can't figure out is why your tank and petcock seem to work perfectly off the bike.... :S

• Page: