Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Rear Wheel Stand Recommendation 07 May 2018 11:47 #783019

• jwtulane
  • jwtulane's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm a brand new bike owner, 1990 ZR 550 B, and am looking for a couple of rear wheel stand recommendations, or at least words of wisdom when shopping and picking one out. I'd like to learn how to do chain cleaning, inspection, and lubing. There are of course a lot of YouTube videos that demonstrate the process, but different tools, solvents, and methods. Thanks for your patience with the 50-year-old nubie. Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rear Wheel Stand Recommendation 07 May 2018 13:05 #783021

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664
I have a few stands. There is one major distinction between paddock stands for the rear wheel. Stands that have a rubber surface that the swingarm rests on, or stands that have a forked end that notch around a "spool" on the swingarm. The rubber nubs are more universal and less likely to damage paint, the forked type are the most sturdy. A lot of stands have both types on them, you flip the top around to use what you like. I have a Pitbull stand that I really like. The handle can be removed so you don't trip on it when you're working on the bike, very solid and well made. I also have some cheaper Venom stands which work fine as well, just not as solid. As long as you get a stand that is adjustable It will probably work with your bike. I ended up making some spools and a custom stand for my KZ1000 after I almost knocked it off the rubber nubs. Its VERY secure on the custom stand. But a Pitbull stand with spools would be nearly as good.

Rear Wheel Stand Recommendation 18 Jun 2018 14:07 #785395

• FrankenKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
I would recommend the Pitbull stand with the spool / rubber nubs. A bit pricier than other stands, but the build quality is better. Good luck!
1977 KZ650 (1982 KZ750-4 Engine)
Vance & Hines 4:1
K&N Pods

1977 KZ1000
Kerker 4:1
K&N Pods

Rear Wheel Stand Recommendation 19 Jun 2018 04:22 #785416

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
  • Thank you received: 80
I also have both front and rear Pitbull Stands. Had a cheap aluminum rear stand, and didn't know what I was using till I bought the Pitbull. I really like to front stand where it picks up the front from under the steering head. This front stand has adjustable height, and there are many sizes of "pins" to match the steering head you have. I believe what they say, "This is the last stand you will ever need."

www.pit-bull.com/motorcycle-stands
'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

Rear Wheel Stand Recommendation 19 Jun 2018 04:22 #785417

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
  • Thank you received: 80
I also have both front and rear Pitbull Stands. Had a cheap aluminum rear stand, and didn't know what I was using till I bought the Pitbull. I really like to front stand where it picks up the front from under the steering head. This front stand has adjustable height, and there are many sizes of "pins" to match the steering head you have. I believe what they say, "This is the last stand you will ever need."

www.pit-bull.com/motorcycle-stands
'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

• Page: