Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Getting the right welder 10 May 2010 15:25 #367075

• riverroad
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
  • Thank you received: 7
Harbor Freight ain't all junk, but I bought a suspension pickle fork from them once, and the first time I used it, the fork spread open as easy a few of the women I've known.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Getting the right welder 12 May 2010 20:25 #367587

• jjdwoodman
  • User
  • Live free, or die.
  • Thank you received: 1
Patience and Craigslist can help you out sometimes. I bought a Century 185 continuous duty welder off craigslist. It was old and not that pretty but works perfectly and I've run over 70 pounds of wire through it (mig .035) without a glitch. Real nice steady even arc. Total cost:$400

As for Harbor Freight, I haven't used one of their welders, but I do have their larger plasma cutter. It gets kind of squirrely at about 1/2" plate, But how often do you do that in your garage?

I do admit, it's kind of a walk on the wild side spending money on anything electrical there. You never know what you'll wake up with in the morning.
77 650b
81 550 Mostly there
83 ZN1300 Voyager

Getting the right welder 12 May 2010 22:51 #367604

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
jjdwoodman wrote:

I do admit, it's kind of a walk on the wild side spending money on anything electrical there. You never know what you'll wake up with in the morning.

I find it very exciting. Like gambling. You might come out way ahead, or you might lose your shirt.

JC Whitney parts were like that too. When I was a kid I used to go to the store on the south side of Chicago. Anything electrical had a 50% chance of working out of the box, but it only cost about 50% of what other stores would charge. I rolled the dice quite a few times. Came out about even in the long run. :laugh: