Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

big block pt.2/rebuild 29 Sep 2006 15:45 #80526

• kz-mtd
  • kz-mtd's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Is it a difficult task to rebuild a motor? Now I know that cheap is not the way but I would really like to do the project myself...I could send the machining out to APE. Help me somebody:unsure:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

big block pt.2/rebuild 29 Sep 2006 16:44 #80534

• Six9GS
  • User
Well,
I was 14 when I overhauled my very first engine. It was from a 1972 Honda SL100. I COMPLETELY tore the engine and bike down. Repainted the frame and tank and other such stuff and got it all back together. Rode that bike for several years.
I had a shop manual and followed it. I think if I can do it at 14 years of age, you probably can too. However, my advise before you begin this 'project' would be as follows (it is the same advise I use when I start a project).
1. It is going to take you longer than you think it will.
2. It is going to cost you more money than you think it will. I usually end up spending around 200% of what i thought it would cost.
3. You will run into some unforseen problem that you did not plan on contending with that you will have to solve.

Those things almost always happen to me when I do some sort of project so I just figure from the git go that they will and go from there.

Unless you are very uncapable of 'bending wrenches' I think you should attempt this. I know that it feels really good to be driving a bike or car that I have done extensive work on!
Good Luck!!! and GO FOR IT!!!!

Other Projects I have done, in brief, through the years include top end overhaul on my current KZ650. Thorough mechanical revival of a 1969 Buick Gran Sport, both engine and transmission overhaul, engine overhaul of a 250 straight 6 in my old 79 GMC Van and other misc. stuff. I'm not a mechanic. But, a little patience, attention to detail and knowing when and where to ask questions goes a long way toward success. This ain't rocket science!

Post edited by: Six9GS, at: 2006/09/29 19:53

big block pt.2/rebuild 29 Sep 2006 17:57 #80544

• geerbangr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
KZ tell us about wutcha got!!!!:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
1978 KZ 1000

I go by Jason

big block pt.2/rebuild 29 Sep 2006 18:28 #80551

• wireman
  • Visitor
what are wanting to build?;)

big block pt.2/rebuild 30 Sep 2006 04:13 #80607

• kz-mtd
  • User
wireman wrote:

what are wanting to build?;)

my motor is a 903 would like to go to 1260 or 1327.

big block pt.2/rebuild 30 Sep 2006 08:13 #80636

• wireman
  • Visitor
if its going in a z1 or kz900 id concentrate on building up chassis and brakes first.;)id also reccomend practicing on a smaller motor first,they tend to be less complicated to build than a hi-end bigblock motor with big hairy cams to degree and less forgiving clearances.

Post edited by: wireman, at: 2006/09/30 11:45

big block pt.2/rebuild 30 Sep 2006 18:20 #80792

• kz-mtd
  • User
I have a 5 inch cbr f3 rim with brake set-up,f3 swingarm,and I think APE will do head work.But if not I would probably pay for degree/timing. wireman wrote:

if its going in a z1 or kz900 id concentrate on building up chassis and brakes first.;)id also reccomend practicing on a smaller motor first,they tend to be less complicated to build than a hi-end bigblock motor with big hairy cams to degree and less forgiving clearances.<br><br>Post edited by: wireman, at: 2006/09/30 11:45

big block pt.2/rebuild 01 Oct 2006 20:23 #81041

• APE Jay
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 58
You can pay someone to degree the cams, or you can buy the tools, learn to do it, then you will be the guy everyone else pays to degree theirs.

Jay

• Page: