Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Piston Ring Installation 23 Sep 2006 16:22 #79015

• Neotrion
  • Neotrion's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
My main question is about the open ends of the pistion rings. I remember somewhere that you needed to stagger the open ends of the rings 30 degrees from each other, but I haven't been able to find it again. I believe you want the gaps of the rings facing toward the front end of the bike and staggered 30 degrees from you. Is that correct, or does someone else have a different way that works. I would appreciate any information you guys could give me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Piston Ring Installation 23 Sep 2006 17:50 #79031

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
I just make sure they are equal distance apart, and as far from being lined up as possible.

I can't think of any reason to have them at the front of the piston, or any particular position for that matter, just as long as they are as far apart as possible.

My $0.000000002 anyway :)
KD9JUR

Piston Ring Installation 24 Sep 2006 01:36 #79129

• racer54
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 114
What Steell said. Just make sure the ring gaps aren't lined up. Doesn't matter where they are. If it makes you feel better, line them up 30 degrees apart.
1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

Piston Ring Installation 24 Sep 2006 15:57 #79236

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
All the manuals show the rings oriented the same way. First make sure you have them oriented correctly as far as rightside-up. Then the bottom ring's opening will be pointed towards the rear of the bike. The 2nd and upper rings will be pointed 30 degrees away from center-front. The main thing is to not leave the ring gaps lined up on the piston.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Piston Ring Installation 24 Sep 2006 19:40 #79314

• Neotrion
  • User
That is kind of what I thought. How do you tell if the rings are right side up? I didn't really see any distinguishing marks.

Piston Ring Installation 25 Sep 2006 05:51 #79400

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Depends on the ring manufacturer but in general, if there is a small mark right near the ring gap, that will be positioned up. There will also be rings that are chamfered and the chamfer will be up. You need to get a manual for your bike as the 750 stuff may be different. I also told you wrong regarding the orientation of the rings on the piston at install. I copied three drawings from the 903/1015cc Clymers to a file and you can view at the following link:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/wiredgeorge/misc/rings.jpg
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Piston Ring Installation 25 Sep 2006 18:05 #79565

• Neotrion
  • User
I took a look at all my rings, and I have only found a stamp on one of them. It was the 2nd ring from the top. Does that mean that the others that dont have a stamp have no top or bottom? This was only have taking them off of one piston.

Post edited by: Neotrion, at: 2006/09/25 22:09

Piston Ring Installation 25 Sep 2006 19:43 #79610

• koolaid_kid
  • User
  • Thank you received: 99
Like wg says, it depends on the manufacturer.
I just did a set of Wiseco rings, and this is what they said:
"Install the second ring with the marked side up...If the top ring is not marked, either side will go up."
They also showed the oil ring expander end gap forward, with one oil rail ring end gap at one wrist pin, and the other oil rail ring end gap at the other wrist pin.
Be sure and check the ring gap for each cylinder, and mate those rings to that cylinder. I had 2 that I had to file the end gap to meet the spec.
1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.

Piston Ring Installation 26 Sep 2006 04:33 #79668

• letthegoodtimesroll
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
For the KZ650 (from the manual) the top and bottom rings face forward and the center ring faces to the back. The oil ring has 3 pieces and they are to be 15 degrees apart. The top of the 3 pieces has the split either to the left or right of the split of the center piece and the bottom is 15 degrees to the left or right of the center. The top and bottom pieces must be opposite of each other, if the top is to the right then the bottom has to be to the left and vice versa. I am at work now, but I will try to scan the manual tonight and post the pics as this may be a bit confusing.
1977 KZ650C1, Kerker Header, Dyna ignition and coils, GPZ 750 oil pan and cooler

Piston Ring Installation 26 Sep 2006 05:28 #79678

• donthekawguy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
letthegoodtimesroll wrote:

For the KZ650 (from the manual) the top and bottom rings face forward and the center ring faces to the back. The oil ring has 3 pieces and they are to be 15 degrees apart. The top of the 3 pieces has the split either to the left or right of the split of the center piece and the bottom is 15 degrees to the left or right of the center. The top and bottom pieces must be opposite of each other, if the top is to the right then the bottom has to be to the left and vice versa. I am at work now, but I will try to scan the manual tonight and post the pics as this may be a bit confusing.

It may be a bit confusing?
Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

Piston Ring Installation 26 Sep 2006 16:02 #79837

• letthegoodtimesroll
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I will have to wait until tomorrow to scan the page from the manual, but here is what it says:"Position each piston ring so that the opening in the top and oil ring of each piston is facing forwards, and the second ring opening faces the rear. The openings of the oil ring steel rails must be slipped to both directions about 30 degrees from the opening of the expander. (This last step is unnecessary if the motorcycle is provided with a one-piece oil ring.)" I would think the 750 is the same.
1977 KZ650C1, Kerker Header, Dyna ignition and coils, GPZ 750 oil pan and cooler

• Page: