Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

'Crate motor' if you will??? 19 Sep 2006 08:35 #77804

• requiem
  • requiem's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
I'm considering building some streetfighter/buell xb12/ducati testastretta sorta frames... did that make any sense? i'm talking about naked, tail up, swaybacked, no faring, fast as frick...

what motor?

vmax? am I on crack? I want a bigass motor that i can blow and mod without worry, and is easy to work on, has a lot of torque... suggestions? (yeah, i posted this on another post, but no one said anything, lol...)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

'Crate motor' if you will??? 19 Sep 2006 08:37 #77806

• wireman
  • Visitor
do you want a canyon carver with lots of torque or a straight line missile?:evil:

'Crate motor' if you will??? 19 Sep 2006 08:39 #77807

• requiem
  • User
carver, for sure, that's why I mentioned ducati and buell, besides the obvious syling similarities... no hayabusa here, lots of torque, more low end power than you know what to do with, capable of forgetting to down shift and going anyway, not dying like my bro's ninja, lol...

'Crate motor' if you will??? 19 Sep 2006 08:40 #77808

• requiem
  • User
but we are talking about topping at 140 at least... not like my shadow that tops out well below that, haha...

'Crate motor' if you will??? 19 Sep 2006 09:56 #77825

• wireman
  • Visitor
well a lot of those canyon carvers are insanely fast in a straight line also:P anyway more questins air-cooled,water-cooled,carbed/fuel-injected?gsxr and zx motors can be picked pretty cheap if you want a water cooled motor theres one that that shows up here at the wedsday night car show once in a while with a honda cbx 6cyl in it if you want to be really differant! :P the old kz and gs motors are still fairly easy to come by if you want an aircooled motor the early bimotos and those styles of bikes used air cooled motors;)

'Crate motor' if you will??? 19 Sep 2006 10:04 #77828

• requiem
  • User
i wasn't sure. if I had a motor of choice, just choosing from components... I'd want aircooled multi carb... cause it's what i've worked on and is simpler.

cheap is good, power is good. simple is very good.

what thinkest thou? have to be able to get ahold of them cheap and in decent numbers... someone told me to use a VMAX... why did they say that??

'Crate motor' if you will??? 19 Sep 2006 10:44 #77839

• wireman
  • Visitor
the v-maxx is an insanely fast bike and its narrow compared to a regular inline 4 which is a good thing if you like dragging the ends of your handle bars through a corner:evil: personally if my bar ends are dragging through a corner i hope my rearend is not attached to ay part of the bike!:S :P anyway i think v-maxx's are shaft drive which complicates the process those back 2 cylinders also require extra space for engine.if you live in relative cool place where its not 115 degrees with 90% humidity year around i would say build something like an 1197 which will give you truckloads of torque and a 900 style crank which will give you instant throttle response a mild head which will let it breathe a little and a set of 28-29mm carbs.i know everybody says they are too small but you will get better throttle response and i guarantee it will be able to twist the chassis to its limits! :evil: just like this motor,i even have an example for ya!:evil: :P
Attachments:

'Crate motor' if you will??? 19 Sep 2006 12:05 #77865

• requiem
  • User
fascinating.

overall price from start (procuring motor) to finish? (carbs, etc)

this is a KZ1000 motor to start out with, right?

shaft drive vmax... you sure? maybe... prolly right...

i like the sound of the 1187... but i do live in Texas... lol...

dragging my handlebars does sound like fun, however, heh.

'Crate motor' if you will??? 19 Sep 2006 12:21 #77870

• wireman
  • Visitor
you could use a 900 or 1000 motor,i just think the 900 crank will work good for what you are trying to do.i built my version from stuff i had laying around,but you should be able to build a really good running respectable version for about $1500-$2000 if you shop around on ebay for parts or here on classified section as long as you dont let em get a hook in your mouth and sell you a bunch of unnesasary(spell check)parts.i think i had about $400.00(yes $400.00 :P )of course i have pretty good collection of parts to build from though!:evil: oh yeah,1197 not 1187 :P

'Crate motor' if you will??? 19 Sep 2006 12:55 #77884

• requiem
  • User
typo, lol...

ok, may try that and put it in one of my bikes before I build a frame for it, it sounds good though.

'Crate motor' if you will??? 19 Sep 2006 13:17 #77897

• requiem
  • User
can I blow it?

'Crate motor' if you will??? 19 Sep 2006 13:52 #77903

• wireman
  • Visitor
i beat mine pretty hard till i parked and it just kept on wanting more,once i swapped out the cams for a smaller set it really came to life and reminded me who was really in charge a couple times just ask skipper76kz about the dents in bottem of the old header i gave him and solomrus about the cracks in frame,wheelies are fun! :evil: :P

• Page: