Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

sidelined again !!!!!!!! 07 Sep 2006 12:08 #75122

• geerbangr
  • geerbangr's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
:angry: I think i have some major problems this time , I was out beatin up the blacktop today,wheeled on over to my parents house to cut fire wood w/ my dad,as i'm pulling up in front of their house i hear something squeakin,turn into the driveway and the shit hits the fan,i about went on my lid,the back tire is locked up,glad that did'nt happen while i was in the triple digit zone strolling across the hi way.Now i'm thinking the brake caliper is froze,park the bike check caliper,nope it's fine,jump back on her,fire it up drop it in low gear,let the clutch out,start across the driveway,hang on,back tire locks up again,stop, start letting the clutch out something in this futher mucker is on a bind,pull the clutch lever in,engine sounds fine let the clutch out once again,engine boggin,something is bound up ,wtf is going on????So i shoved the bike in the garage,i can't hardly move the bike the rear wheel is locked up,bikes in neutral,wtmf is going on,jiggle her around a lil bit get her to roll, once in the garage i put her on the center stand,grab the back tire give it a spin i hear alot of squeaking coming out of the front bevel drive,uh huh here's the culprit,anyone ever have this happen before???I can't tear it down till tomorrow coz i have to get some shut eye,midnight shift this week.Is it possible that the shaft support bearing or bearings for the front bevel are bad???There hasn't been a sign or sound outta this unit before??? Throw some thoughts at me guys!!!
1978 KZ 1000

I go by Jason

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

sidelined again !!!!!!!! 07 Sep 2006 12:54 #75133

• guitargeek
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
  • Thank you received: 50
I'd start by checking the gear oil in the rear end for proper level, then drain it and see if there are any metal bits in there. If that looks okay, I'd pull the rear wheel and inspect the ring gear. If that's okay I'd pull the drive shaft and check the U-joint(s). If that looks okay I'd pull the swingarm and inspect the bevel gear.

If I had to pick just one, I'd say it was a bad U-joint...
1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"

sidelined again !!!!!!!! 22 Sep 2006 02:49 #78677

• guitargeek
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
  • Thank you received: 50
So what'd you figure out?
1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"

sidelined again !!!!!!!! 23 Sep 2006 07:28 #78926

• geerbangr
  • User
The front bevel gear bearings took a shit!!!:angry:
1978 KZ 1000

I go by Jason

sidelined again !!!!!!!! 23 Sep 2006 10:13 #78947

• wireman
  • Visitor
how hard is it to fix?;)

sidelined again !!!!!!!! 23 Sep 2006 23:46 #79122

• geerbangr
  • User
Not a real bad job wire,pull the front gearcase off,pull the rear of the case out that the shaft connects to,pull the dust cover off the outside,back the nut off the shaft,push the main shaft out,the outside bearing race can be knocked out with a drift,the inner bearing race,hahahaha ,had to pull an old mechanics trick to get that dude out,there is noway to push,drive,knock,coax,or swear that race out,fire up the mig and run 2 1" beads opposite of one and other then pull the race out with a pick:woohoo: just got all the parts to put it back together,the only critical part is bearing preload,check backlash once all together wash her up and go run the monkey nuts off of her until i break something else!!!:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
1978 KZ 1000

I go by Jason

• Page: