Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Dazed and Confused 19 Aug 2006 00:14 #70838

• Papa Uff Da
  • Papa Uff Da's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
OK Dazed and confused is a normal state of mind for me when it comes to engines (due to extreme lack of mechanical knowledge.). This last winter I tried to ride. But I was hearing lots of loud clanking and white smoke coming out. Took it to the only local shop. The owner said he thought it was a loose cam chain. Well being as funds are really tight I took home and parked. Did not want a piston of something or other to go flying thru something or other.

Today a buddy of mine stopped bye on his way thru town; wanting to look at my bike. I tried to start the bike but battery was to low. SO I did a slow charge on it. It started just fine. There was no loud clanking not smoke. But then tonight about 6 hours after riding I had a very hard time starting and keeping it running. I managed to get it to warm up after setting the choke to barely on. The bike would not stay at idle with a full choke at startup. This is the normal procedure for starting.

Any suggestions as to what it maybe would be great. Trying to figure out how much the repair bill maybe and if maybe my buddy can help me.

Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dazed and Confused 19 Aug 2006 06:54 #70865

• N0NB
  • User
  • Blue handles better
  • Thank you received: 19
First thing you might try is to drain all of the old gas out of the tank and carbs and refill with fresh. Then add some SeaFoam to the gas and get that working through the system. Most likely some of the small passages have gotten gummed up over the years.

Start out easy and work your way up. Get a service manual and some basic tools. Study the manual and then study the part you're working on. Soon you'll have a good grasp of what's going on.

- Nate >>
Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: