Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Engine to swap out blown motor 08 Aug 2006 16:02 #68102

• AJCrader
  • AJCrader's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I just got my first bike, 1978 KZ650 which I like a lot, but there is one big problem, I can't seem to find any decent motors locally, and nowhere to even think of buying a rebuilt one. I wanted to know if there are any other easier to locate that will fit or that are more modern?

Anyways, my plans for the bike right now are to tear it apart and get the motor out and salvage anything off of it. It threw a rod right through the front of the motor right between the exhaust thankfully.

Thanks to everyone for the help ahead of time!

Post edited by: AJCrader, at: 2006/09/11 13:16
AJ
Drag bike, 1220cc Z1R KZ project

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Engine to swap out blown motor 08 Aug 2006 16:37 #68110

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
Wow! When you blow a motor you do it right :D

KZ750 four and GPz750 (till 1985) will pretty much bolt in. KZ1000 will fit with some work, anything else let us know how it goes (as in "You are on your own") :)
KD9JUR

Engine to swap out blown motor 08 Aug 2006 16:41 #68112

• AJCrader
  • User
Well I didn't blow the motor, it was a working running bike until the night before i got it, ended up trading one of those annoying little gopeds for the bike, I am going to have to completely redo the bike, just want to know what motor would be the best to work around, cause the 650's seem nearly impossible to find, the only one i know about is $400 and no clue of what shape it is in. I want it to be a nice looking bike, that would be decent to take to the strip w/o nitrous or a turbo. so basically any of the pre 86 750's would work, and i'm sure any 650's would too right?
AJ

Engine to swap out blown motor 08 Aug 2006 18:20 #68123

• kznuke
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Check out Bob's Used Motorcycle Parts here in Phoenix off of I-17 & 7th St. They have a pretty big yard and may be able to help.

Engine to swap out blown motor 08 Aug 2006 20:09 #68157

• AJCrader
  • User
i called they said they think they have one, and if they do its $400, but i can't afford that much all at once right now, actually trying to save up so i can get out of my parents house and maybe rent a room at a house, but who knows
AJ

Engine to swap out blown motor 08 Aug 2006 21:12 #68171

• agawam
  • User
I have three 650 engines 1 78 that ran when pulled 1 78 stuck from sitting and 1 77 stuck from sitting, all are complete, I'm in massachusetts and open to offers

Engine to swap out blown motor 09 Aug 2006 00:20 #68194

• fixer5000
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
agawam wrote:

I have three 650 engines 1 78 that ran when pulled 1 78 stuck from sitting and 1 77 stuck from sitting, all are complete, I'm in massachusetts and open to offers

we seem to have a stash here ive got one too!!
1978 kz650b pretty much stock
\\\\\\\" get there fast but arrive alive \\\\\\\"
massachusetts

Engine to swap out blown motor 09 Aug 2006 05:38 #68221

• AJCrader
  • User
I haven't got but $200 i could spare right now and that'd include shipping, and i'm guessing that wouldn't be enough, but if it is let me know!
AJ

Engine to swap out blown motor 11 Sep 2006 08:03 #75866

• AJCrader
  • User
I was told that a ZR-7 might be an option to swap into the frame...ar there any other more modern engines that would fit, even if i nee to have new mounting tabs put on. I would like something that is as modern as possible, I have seen a few motors of 650's that look similar in shape, but the bad pics made it hard to tell about the mounting. Anyone did any more modern engine swaps into a 78 kz 650 frame?
AJ

Engine to swap out blown motor 11 Sep 2006 08:13 #75867

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
AJCrader wrote:

I would like to get started doing other stuff, but mom hates motorcycles and won't let me pull it on on the back patio, and dad has all the garage and driveway pace used up.

!

Get yourself a couple of sheets of 'free salvage' plywood and put some 'free salvage' 2x4 around the edges so stuff won't roll off into the grass/dirt. Find youself a tarp to cover things up when it rains. Get a mess of free 5 gal buckets with lids from the local chinese restaurant. NOW you have a place to work and organizeable storage for the parts. Work fast so you'll be done before the termites ;-)

• Page: