• Page:

TOPIC:

Clutch cable snapped... 08 Aug 2006 06:19 #67974

• Robjb84
  • Robjb84's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Man, every time I fix something on this bike something else breaks :angry:

On my way to work my Tach stopped working, before I went home I took a look and saw the cable had unscrewed itself. Easy fix, screwed it back in, I was happy :D

Just about to pull out of the parking lot and SNAP my clutch cable broke. Good job I hadnt gotten onto the main road...

Anyway if I get a hold of a clutch cable is it an easy enough fix for me to perform? Any tips, step throughs?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Clutch cable snapped... 08 Aug 2006 06:40 #67978

• ltdrider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 17
Yeah, it's an easy fix.
You need to pull the clutch cover plate (the whole plate, not just the eliptical plate where the adjustment screw is). Then see how the cable is attached and cotter pinned to the lever mechanism.
Once you have the new cable installed, adjust the play at the adjustment screw/locknut. Add some grease to its attachment at the clutch lever.

The cable will fray before it breaks. Check it once in a while, and you should be able to catch it before it snaps on you. Some members have a spare cable tie-wrapped under their seat so they can replace it on the road.

I found mine in this condition. Replaced it right away.

'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC
Attachments:

Clutch cable snapped... 08 Aug 2006 06:55 #67980

• Robjb84
  • User
So does the new cable come attached to that little round thing? I noticed the cable detached completely from the little round thing and I cant see how I can get that out of the clutch lever?

Clutch cable snapped... 08 Aug 2006 07:24 #67989

• ltdrider
  • User
The new cable will have the lugs attached at both ends. If your old lug is still in your clutch lever, you need to get it out. You should be able to move the lever until you find a spot where the lug can be pushed out, and it will fall out.
When installing the new cable, you have to line up the slot in the adjusting screw (knurl nut that screws into the clutch lever mechanism, and the cable goes thru it) so that the cable can be threaded into the lever, and the slug can be slipped into the hole that holds it.
Hope that makes sense.
'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
Greensboro, NC

. 08 Aug 2006 09:59 #68017

• JMKZHI
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 48
del

Last edit: by JMKZHI.

Clutch cable snapped... 12 Aug 2006 13:16 #68973

• Robjb84
  • User
Thanks for the advice guys. I didnt get the cable yet but discovered more bad news :( I was goign to remove the cable today, just so I could be familiar with putting the new one on when I get it, anyway I noticed that one clutch cover screw has been completely mangled.

Is there any way I can remove this thing or am I up a particularly poopy creek without a paddle? :o

Clutch cable snapped... 12 Aug 2006 14:44 #68995

• vegasjetskier
  • User
You can remove it with an EZ Out screw removal tool, which should be available at your local hardware store or auto parts store.

Or, you can get a drill bit the same diameter as the screw threads and drill the screw until the screw head pops off. Remove the other screws, then take the cover off. Grab what's left of the drilled screw with vicegrips and turn it out. You might end up damaging your case with the drill bit this way - you have to be very careful that you're only drilling the screw material.

Clutch cable snapped... 13 Aug 2006 07:17 #69073

• trippivot
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
sorry about the sequence of luck.

one threaded fastener at a time as I like to say

one you get the bike in top shape it will be worth the trouble

left hand drill bits work great for removing striped bolts.

a hammer impact driver is a must!!

#3 phillips (big size)is what the caes bolts are-usually--- most stripped phillips is because someone uses a #2(medium size)on them

I replace with allen heads for positive tool grip

Clutch cable snapped... 13 Aug 2006 07:30 #69076

• ambergrismooon
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 2
Use an Easy Out or dremmel off the head and when the case is off use vice grips to remove the screw shaft or dremmel a slot for a flat blade screwdriver. Left hand drill bits. Many ways. But invest in allen head replacements. And use no seize on the replacements.

Clutch cable snapped... 13 Aug 2006 07:55 #69081

• wireman
  • Visitor
sometimes you can use a small bit to make a pilot hole,then use an oversize bit to drill through just the head of screw.then once you get the head off the screw you can pull off the cover and remove whats left of bolt once cover is removed.i always clean the threads with a tap and put antiseize on any steel bolt that ges into aluminum.goodluck,happy wrenching!;)

Clutch cable snapped... 13 Aug 2006 09:27 #69096

• Robjb84
  • User
Thanks guys, as always you have given me newfound confidence in getting this thing ship shape :D

I was wondering also, what if I dremelled a slit in the screw and used a flat head? Wouldnt that work?

Clutch cable snapped... 13 Aug 2006 17:58 #69184

• ltdrider
  • User
Cutting a slot with a dremel will work, especially if you've got a flat-tip attachment for your ratchet wrench or breaker bar.
But it's probably stripped because it's tight as hell, or maybe seized. You may just bust off the head anyway.
'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
Greensboro, NC

• Page: