Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

clutch adjustment 28 Jul 2006 18:12 #65521

• phishphan
  • phishphan's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I am having more trouble with the clutch on my 82 kz 550. I read everything the book said and did it, but i still cannot adjust the clutch. When i adjust the screw in the sprocket cover, and tighten the lock nut, i then remove all free play by turning the mid-cable adjuster. However, when i remove all the slack from that, and then in the handle, THERE STILL IS SLACK IN THE CABLE! The clutch will not disengage and it was working before. I cannot figure it out... any ideas??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

clutch adjustment 28 Jul 2006 19:18 #65539

• hydrolazer
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
are you sure you have the correct cable? measure it up against your old one,,hope this helps
\'79 kaw 1000 ltd

clutch adjustment 28 Jul 2006 20:29 #65553

• Sendhendrix
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Your clutch cable was working before when? Before you replaced it?

How is the 550 clutch set up? Is it a cable running down to a sprocket cover, actuating a lever attatched to a swivel on a set of bearings that cause the swivel to project outwards and push in on a rod as it's pulled forward by the cable? IF this is the case, take a good look at how you've reinstalled the swivel. Is it upside down or backwards? Think hard while you have it apart and visualize how it's supposed to work, and see to it that it remains in its proper position while you're putting the sprocket cover back on.

I'm only saying this because what you describe sounds exactly like what I went through the first time I replaced my cable. It seems like I remember figuring out that I had the bellcrank/swivel thingy set up so it was upside down or something, and I couldn't get the clutch to work until after the fourth or fifth time I had it apart.

• Page: