Kz1100 pistons 701= 961?
- MB
-
Topic Author
- Offline
- User
-

Registered
- Posts: 37
- Thanks: 4
Kz1100 pistons 701= 961?
22 Jan 2025 11:24 - 22 Jan 2025 16:27
Can these be used together 107 and 961 pistons? If they weigh the same and measure the same. The top of the pistons above the rings looks like a different alloy. My kitchen scales say the 3 of the original pistons weigh 10.3 oz and 1 weighs 10.4 oz Both the new ones (#107) weigh 10.1 oz a little over 3 grams difference. I've looked at the boxes and they all have the same part number.
Last edit: 22 Jan 2025 16:27 by MB. Reason: it's ounces not grams
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Injected
-
- Offline
- User
-

Registered
- Posts: 1814
- Thanks: 1268
Re: Kz1100 pistons 701= 961?
22 Jan 2025 15:56 - 22 Jan 2025 16:01
That weight difference is nothing especially for a stock street build, don't worry about it.
I think your weights are off by a decimal point, should be over 100 grams.
On a high performance street build I try to be within 1 gram or less, more important on a road/drag race engine where your revving +10K sustained. You want to get them all the same by grinding on the interior casting.
I think your weights are off by a decimal point, should be over 100 grams.
On a high performance street build I try to be within 1 gram or less, more important on a road/drag race engine where your revving +10K sustained. You want to get them all the same by grinding on the interior casting.
1978 KZ650B2 w 1197cc Z1 engine
1977 KZ650B1 w 750cc Spectre engine
1979 KZ650C3 w 831cc Hot Rod engine
1978 KZ650C2 w 762cc DFI project
1977 KZ650C1 stock restoration project
1978 KZ650B2 modified project
1977 KZ650B1 w 750cc Spectre engine
1979 KZ650C3 w 831cc Hot Rod engine
1978 KZ650C2 w 762cc DFI project
1977 KZ650C1 stock restoration project
1978 KZ650B2 modified project
Last edit: 22 Jan 2025 16:01 by Injected. Reason: info
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- MB
-
Topic Author
- Offline
- User
-

Registered
- Posts: 37
- Thanks: 4
Re: Kz1100 pistons 701= 961?
22 Jan 2025 16:20
Oh, oops. Yes you are rite. I think the scale was telling me ounces, but I was thinking in grams. A 10 gram piston would be shaped like a pencil. no horse power there. Thanks.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- MB
-
Topic Author
- Offline
- User
-

Registered
- Posts: 37
- Thanks: 4
Re: Kz1100 pistons 701= 961?
23 Jan 2025 08:07
I was thinking the numbers might be quality control related, but I had to check with people who knew more than I. This is the first motorcycle engine I,ve rebuilt. I never even considered weighing a cars piston, I have had camshafts balanced. I Thought it might be more important in a 1100cc Z1.Thank you, for the good information. I'll post picks when I have the KZ put back together.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- SWest
-
- Offline
- Sustaining Member
-

Registered
- 10 22 2014
- Posts: 23777
- Thanks: 3042
Re: Kz1100 pistons 701= 961?
23 Jan 2025 09:00
Z1b1000 1975 Z1b
kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/598262-kz-...-will-it-live#672882
kzrider.com/forum/2-engine/597654-poser?start=240#704229
kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/598262-kz-...-will-it-live#672882
kzrider.com/forum/2-engine/597654-poser?start=240#704229
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Injected
-
- Offline
- User
-

Registered
- Posts: 1814
- Thanks: 1268
Re: Kz1100 pistons 701= 961?
23 Jan 2025 09:54Download a FSM (Factory Service Manual) from this web site, it will have all the procedures for a top end rebuild. It also contains the torque specs for the all the fasteners on the whole bike.I was thinking the numbers might be quality control related, but I had to check with people who knew more than I. This is the first motorcycle engine I,ve rebuilt. I never even considered weighing a cars piston, I have had camshafts balanced. I Thought it might be more important in a 1100cc Z1.Thank you, for the good information. I'll post picks when I have the KZ put back together.
If you don't torque that head correctly it will leak.
1978 KZ650B2 w 1197cc Z1 engine
1977 KZ650B1 w 750cc Spectre engine
1979 KZ650C3 w 831cc Hot Rod engine
1978 KZ650C2 w 762cc DFI project
1977 KZ650C1 stock restoration project
1978 KZ650B2 modified project
1977 KZ650B1 w 750cc Spectre engine
1979 KZ650C3 w 831cc Hot Rod engine
1978 KZ650C2 w 762cc DFI project
1977 KZ650C1 stock restoration project
1978 KZ650B2 modified project
The following user(s) said Thank You: MB
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Moderators: Street Fighter LTD
