Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Dunstall muffer install-grrrrr 14 Jul 2006 20:11 #62077

• WharfRat
  • WharfRat's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
:angry: Bought the universal dunstall wide mouths for the 400. Universal fit for 1.5.1,625,and 1.75 inch pipes. Easy install,right. Allready had the old one's cut off. Here's the rub-my pipes are 1.75 OD after the crossover pipe,and the OD of the new mufflers are 1.75. According to the Parts Unlimited catalog that I ordered from there is a reducer to 1.75-which can't be as stated above the OD is 1.75. Anyone have a similar problem? I KNOW i could MAKE 'em fit,but would rather not go that route-especially that I would have to eat the $100 if something went wrong. Plus there is a 20% restock fee at the shop(though I could probably bitch myself out of that one).Suggestions welcomed. Really just want to go for a ride. Really. It's been 10 days.
They are the Emgo's sold everywhere.
Have a nice weekend-John
Kenosha,WI
1979 KZ 400B2
1980 KZ 750 E1
1979 KZ 650 B3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dunstall muffer install-grrrrr 14 Jul 2006 23:25 #62105

• Fossil
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
A short length of exhaust pipe tubing sleeved inside both the muffler and pipe should do the trick. You'll have to put clamps on both the pipes and mufflers, or if your pipes are painted, weld in the tubing and slide the muffler over it.

Dunstall muffer install-grrrrr 15 Jul 2006 00:02 #62108

• wireman
  • Visitor
how about getting a muffler shop to make an adapter to slide over your existing 1-3/4" o.d pipe on one end then small enough to slide into your mufflers on the other end?shouldnt cost ya more than $5-$10 i wouldnt think plus the clamps;)

Dunstall muffer install-grrrrr 15 Jul 2006 00:37 #62110

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
wireman wrote:

how about getting a muffler shop to make an adapter to slide over your existing 1-3/4" o.d pipe on one end then small enough to slide into your mufflers on the other end?shouldnt cost ya more than $5-$10 i wouldnt think plus the clamps;)

I am pretty sure AutoZone (and probably most other chain auto parts stores) sell those, although I totally forgot about it until you mentioned it :)
KD9JUR

Dunstall muffer install-grrrrr 15 Jul 2006 08:51 #62143

• wireman
  • Visitor
i think that might be an oddball size thats why i was thinking muffler shop.;)

Dunstall muffer install-grrrrr 15 Jul 2006 19:39 #62256

• WharfRat
  • WharfRat's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
B) The more I looked at it,I realized all I had to do was grind down a reducer,and use the 2 to come with a plan. From that point on it was gravy. Any 400/440 owners out there don't buy a MAC-just get some of the $50 "Universal Dunstall wide mouths" Takes a little rigging-but man-o-manoschivits(sic)-they sound perfect.
'
Kenosha,WI
1979 KZ 400B2
1980 KZ 750 E1
1979 KZ 650 B3

• Page: