Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Piston pin stuck?? 14 Jul 2006 11:55 #61968

• mjkawa
  • mjkawa's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
This is update on piston stuck problem, as well as a parts wanted post for some 650pistons.
I recently posted about a piston on a 77 650 that had the wrist pin stuck in the piston.
Any way, all four of them were stuck soo hard that we could not get them out. (tried heat, soaking, made the tool shown in the manual etc. etc.)
So now we had a lot of head scratching, and a lot of help from this forum, about how to get the con rod w/ piston out of the engine. Trust me it is not as easy as it seems. But with four hands we split the case and wrestled it open like a clam shell with a joint in its center, and reached inside, and could get a socket on the bottom of the con rods.
So now thats all over, and now haveing trouble finding pistons (preferably 0.5mmover) and rings. Already checked w/ Jeff at Z1 (who was very helpfull, but still no pistons)
Can anyone help? This is nice bike, and I dont want it to get parted out! It still has bright future I know.
Oh yeah, just for the info, All of the wrist pins had been rusted into the pistons! We had to use a large hydrolic press to get them out, actually one of them we broke the piston into pieces, and are now WEDM the pin from the con rod.!!
82 KZ-1000-J
77 KZ650 B

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Piston pin stuck?? 14 Jul 2006 12:03 #61969

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
Maybe a Wiseco overbore kit? I think it's 71-720 cc's, and maybe $350-$400 for pistons and rings, or get a KZ750 cylinder block and a Wiseco 810 kit :)
KD9JUR

Piston pin stuck?? 15 Jul 2006 06:56 #62132

• trippivot
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
I just bought 4 sets of weisco pistons $87.00 a piston set (piston,rings,circlips,wrist pin,decals) the shipping time is 3 days here in the midwest. go to weisco piston on line. product catalog is extensive. gaskets I use Vesrah good value and good materials

it is not magic getting kawasaki parts in a reasonable time.
dont forget any 750 cyl/piston/head/cams will directly fit and work nicely.

my only side effect of boosting my 650 is I had to get better clutch springs

Piston pin stuck?? 15 Jul 2006 08:51 #62144

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207

dont forget any 750 cyl/piston/head/cams will directly fit and work nicely.

KZ750 yes, 83-85 GPz750 no, the cylinder block is different on the GPz750. We have had this discussion in the past, complete with pics to illustrate the difference.
KD9JUR

• Page: