Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ440/400 cylinder sleeve O-rings 10 Aug 2023 17:17 #888144

• Michi
  • Michi's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 18
I read a post on Facebook where someone said their engine blew because they forgot to replace their cylinder sleeve O-rings. I guess they mean the big O-rings you find at the base of the cylinder sleeve. However, I can't see any cylinder sleeve O-rings in the parts diagrams for either the 400 or 440. I assumed this is because the cylinder sleeves extend down into the crankcase by a couple of inches, and so O-rings aren't needed. I will look again at my old (unusable) cylinder when it's light. I'm sure it didn't come with O-rings nor a recess to put them in, so I find what they said confusing. Anyone able to shed some light on this? Do these engines have cylinder sleeve O-rings? Am I missing something? 
KZ440A LTD (1980)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ440/400 cylinder sleeve O-rings 10 Aug 2023 17:51 #888145

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2751
Those O-rings, as used on some bikes, are to keep oil from creeping between the sleeve and the cylinder, causing a weeping oil leak.  No way an engine could blow up from missing those.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michi

KZ440/400 cylinder sleeve O-rings 11 Aug 2023 06:39 #888163

• Michi
  • Michi's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 18
Thanks, yes, I agree. I read it again and I think the guy doesn't know what he's talking about, and the reality is he doesn't know why the engine blew. He thinks he omitted to replace cylinder sleeve O-rings (this alarmed me because I've almost completed assembly on my KZ440 engine without cylinder sleeve O-rings) so I wanted to make sure. But he also thinks this "let in air" causing engine failure. Really bizarre unless you consider he's mistaken the head gasket for "cylinder sleeve O-rings", plus he's done a "head rebuild". His post just doesn't make sense.
KZ440A LTD (1980)

• Page: