• Page:

TOPIC:

cams not aligned on TDC 05 Aug 2023 01:10 #887958

• Fox
  • Fox's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
Hello,

I'm looking for a click what i think to be from a bad timing.

Rework the timing yesterday and i can see that the cams are not aligned when 1/4 are on TDC.
When i set the 2 timing marks on TDC (picture 1)  then the cams are positioned like the first image of the second picture (with top idler on)

To have them aligned like the second image of the second picture i have to pass the TDC form 5mm to the left.

I that normal because those bikes are old or did i make something wrong ?

Best,
Fox

1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD
1977 kz1000-B1 LTD
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

cams not aligned on TDC 05 Aug 2023 01:17 #887959

• Warren3200gt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 690
Looks like a 900?
The timing marks are very faint. They are highlighted in yellow on the workshop manual diagram. If your cams are not as the workshop diagram then they are installed incorrectly. Your picture doesn't show the exhaust cam timing mark but looks like it could be 1 tooth out so the inlet will be also. 

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Fox

Last edit: by Warren3200gt.

cams not aligned on TDC 05 Aug 2023 03:04 #887960

• zed1015
  • Away
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1496
Possibly a tooth retarded on the crank.
A more detailed pic of your actual cams at TDC would get a more decisive answer.
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: Fox

cams not aligned on TDC 05 Aug 2023 03:33 #887961

• Fox
  • Fox's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
I can't have the first pin of the cam (number 0) chain aligned to the front timing mark. Must be above or below. I chosed above.
The inlet cam look to be not aligned. The exhaust one is good.

I actually think to replace my cam chain. But before gonig on this job is that a trick to correct this trouble by "advance or retard" the timing to know if it's the problem ?
I have a kz1000 ltd 78 and dyna s ignition. Perhaps play with it or give more space for the exhast shims...

1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD
1977 kz1000-B1 LTD

cams not aligned on TDC 05 Aug 2023 05:09 #887962

• Warren3200gt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 690
Pin '0' will be slightly below. Set it up so that at tdc the exhaust cam mark is as close to level with the head surface as you can get it. Ensure the chain is tight from the crank to the cam. This may be slightly above level with the head if your timing chain is worn/stretched. Pin 1 is the first pin after the timing mark. Then 28 pins back to the inlet cam mark. 

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

cams not aligned on TDC 05 Aug 2023 05:53 #887963

• zed1015
  • Away
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1496

I can't have the first pin of the cam (number 0) chain aligned to the front timing mark. Must be above or below. I chosed above.
The inlet cam look to be not aligned. The exhaust one is good.

I actually think to replace my cam chain. But before gonig on this job is that a trick to correct this trouble by "advance or retard" the timing to know if it's the problem ?
I have a kz1000 ltd 78 and dyna s ignition. Perhaps play with it or give more space for the exhast shims...

Set the zero pin ( which will also be the exhaust timing mark ) to which ever pin is closest to the head surface at TDC whether it be slightly above or below .
If the pins are equidistant from the head surface then use the one slightly below.
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

• Page: