Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Mac exhaust?? 14 Jul 2006 06:13 #61891

• Draco
  • Draco's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I am considering this exhaust for my bike.
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this style. How they sound, quality, clearance issues, etc..
I'm wanting to get away from the megaphone style mufflers.

Mac exhaust

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mac exhaust?? 14 Jul 2006 06:38 #61902

• tganek
  • Visitor
Hey Josh,
I have an '80 750 ltd w/ a Mac exhaust (4-2). It's ceramic coated. I don't think they make 'em anymore...

But...

They have withstood tons of punishment, at least 75,000 miles, and are 15 years old. They are still ok. They are a little louder than stock but not by much. Clearance? Did I mention it's an LTD?

Lower end of the price bracket but worth every penny to me.

Mac exhaust?? 14 Jul 2006 06:54 #61905

• brianrae33
  • User
have a 78 1000 with a mac canister style...no problems with fit or finish..no clearence issues either...have the baffle pulled so mine is LOUD...but with the baffle sounds very good....paid about $210.00 from dennis kirk..
1982 kz1000ltd

Mac exhaust?? 14 Jul 2006 07:16 #61909

• Draco
  • User
I am looking for louder than stock, but not obnoxiously loud. I emailed the seller, and he says that if the bike is in good running order (which it is) then I should not need to do a re-jet. I'm not sure I totally believe that. From everything I have read on this site, you pretty much HAVE to do a re-jet when you go with a less restrictive exhaust. Any opinions on this?
I an also planning to wrap the headers down to the mufflers, would doing so make any difference besides heat retention?
Thanks for the input guys, keep it comming!

Mac exhaust?? 14 Jul 2006 07:27 #61913

• tganek
  • Visitor
Just checked your link. That seems a little ( cough ) pricey for a MAC system. blush:

You can get higher end systems for that kind of money.
brianrae33 is right, check Dennis kirk. Or our resident Z1 parts guy! He will tell you exaclty how to set the bike up too.

Mac exhaust?? 14 Jul 2006 08:49 #61932

• anarki650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
For what it's worth, I just put a Mac 4-1 on my 77 650 and LOVE IT. It's not obnoxiously loud, but it sounds great! Nice and deep with just the right ammount of growl. I left the baffle in mine because I didn't want to pi$$ off the neighbors when I start it up in the garage at 6am (had a GSXR1100 with a wide open vance and hines that woke up everyone within a 3 house radius before). It was easy to install and I picked it up for right around $200 new. I'm running pods and the 4-1 on an otherwise stock bike and I changed my jets to two sizes up on the main and it runs like a top. In my opinion you can't go wrong with the Mac.
09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

Mac exhaust?? 14 Jul 2006 09:06 #61937

• Draco
  • User
I will check into Dennis Kirk. The only thing Z1 has for my bike is the V&H 4-1, and I wanted to stick to a 4-2 system. I like the ones in the link for the down turned pipes. I have neveer seen a set up like it anywhere else. That look will go well with what I have planned to do over winter.
:evil:
What other systems are out there for my bike?
I have only seen Mac and V&H so far.

Mac exhaust?? 14 Jul 2006 09:41 #61942

• Draco
  • User
Update:
I checked into Dennis Kirk, and found that they have pretty much the same stuff I have seen already, including the setup I am currently considering(for the same price). So I guess I'll just have to shell out the $$$ for that one, or build my own. Not a lot of options on these old classics huh? On the positive side, I do have a stock system in great condition that I will be selling when I get the new one, so that should help me recoup some cash. How much could I expect to get for the stock system? (ballpark figure)

Mac exhaust?? 14 Jul 2006 14:49 #61999

• jbw7300
  • User
  • you can't ride if your fried
if your going to buy that MAC exhaust buy it from a dealer not off ebay cause MAC will not warentee anything sold on ebay!!!!!!!! when i bought mine from the dealer up the road there was a little slip inside the box stating this
84 kz 700 a1 sports

Mac exhaust?? 14 Jul 2006 15:35 #62007

• Draco
  • User
Thanks for the tip jbw. I planned on getting it through Dennis Kirk. It's a little cheaper and the shipping would be free through them.
Thanks again!

Mac exhaust?? 14 Jul 2006 18:18 #62044

• donthekawguy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
I got my Mac heared off ebay (never used) for $50. :P I have had a mac on my last two bikes and don't like the look of the muffler. I cut them off and use whatever I have laying around or whats cheap on ebay.
Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

Mac exhaust?? 14 Jul 2006 18:34 #62056

• rdhussey
  • User
I ran a mac 4-1 xhaust for a couple years. It fit beautifully and was so quiet you could really hear the engine whining whn you worked it. So I cut out half the baffle :)

Coolest soundign bike in the world .... I've been old it sounds like an R6 haha

Cheap upgrade ... hundreds of looks :)

• Page: