Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Reproduction Z2/Z1 heads 27 May 2019 06:14 #804666

• SWest
  • SWest's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2599
Looks like they're in production now. Also looks like the valve seats are cast in. :whistle: I wonder how much they will cost?
Steve
50 years ago the N600 project was changed to build a 900cc in-line 4 with increased horsepower targeted for release in 1972. Could we be looking at the V1-50 test motor development? Let the Z1 Retro Revolution begin

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: loudhvx, DOHC, Scirocco, hardrockminer, Dragbike_Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by SWest.

Reproduction Z2/Z1 heads 28 May 2019 07:14 #804698

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 512
Thatmuch work, engineering, CNC time! These heads will cost many of thousands of dollars!
Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

Reproduction Z2/Z1 heads 28 May 2019 07:23 #804700

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
If they already have the equipment, that should keep the cost down. The one thing I would suggest is to make the intake ports wider to fit the "mounting flanges" and prevent air leaks. I never liked how they fit.
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: perrykz1000

Reproduction Z2/Z1 heads 30 May 2019 17:16 #804899

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Another pic. I thought they were cast in. :whistle:
Steve
Attachments:

Reproduction Z2/Z1 heads 31 May 2019 02:24 #804924

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1008
I find the casting part of engine manufacture fascinating. The caster needs to think everything in reverse in order for it to come out right. And he needs to know how far the metal will flow before setting up. And where to drill holes after wards.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

Reproduction Z2/Z1 heads 31 May 2019 06:05 #804934

• dpivas7
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8

hardrockminer wrote: I find the casting part of engine manufacture fascinating. The caster needs to think everything in reverse in order for it to come out right. And he needs to know how far the metal will flow before setting up. And where to drill holes after wards.

I work in the auto industry and I get to mess with CAD models of engine blocks in development. I'm always amazed at how they can make the molds for such complicated curvatures and hold them to such tight tolerances!
Current: '19 Harley Roadster, '72 XLCH, '84 GPz 550
Past: '84 GPz 550, '82 KZ750 LTD, '71 XLCH
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest, hardrockminer

Reproduction Z2/Z1 heads 31 May 2019 07:10 #804943

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Got any clips of it?
Steve

Reproduction Z2/Z1 heads 31 May 2019 11:12 #804961

• dpivas7
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8

SWest wrote: Got any clips of it?
Steve

Unfortunately, I'd get in a lot of trouble if I shared any since they're pre-produciton.
Current: '19 Harley Roadster, '72 XLCH, '84 GPz 550
Past: '84 GPz 550, '82 KZ750 LTD, '71 XLCH

Reproduction Z2/Z1 heads 31 May 2019 16:32 #804973

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2659
Just guessing but I'd estimate the tooling cost at $100,000. KHI stated the initial production run will be 1000 pieces so the tooling amortization cost will be in the range of $100/head. The question now is how much is the head going to cost. I'd guess somewhere near $1000. Seems reasonable if you ask me.

Reproduction Z2/Z1 heads 01 Jun 2019 01:53 #804983

• Ojisan rider
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 63
While I was in Japan this April, I picked up this cool magazine. In it, there was a article about the repro Z1/Z2 head.

According to this article, It will be produce using original dimension with modern technology machining. Also in article, it said that head will be package with camshaft bracket, valves and related parts and tappets. However, it does not come with camshaft, cylinder head cover or any gasket(s). Also, exhaust studs will be M8.

Lastly, as I mentioned before, it will be produce using modern technology, it will not have the same finish as original. I guess what they mean is that it may not have the rough casting finish.

As for the price, it was not set yet as of this magazine's printing. They planning to start production run at around Fall 2019 and will start selling them from 2020, but does not say when.

Yeah, I read Japanese too.

82' KZ750-R1 cafe racer style. Clip-on, Rear set, Fork-Brace, Mikuni Flat-slide (forgot the size), Kerker.
84' GPz750 (basket case). everything are in pieces.
89' ZX750-H1 (ZX-7 Ninja). Resurrection project are on going with my KZ750. Everything is stock.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DOHC, Puffin, bluezbike, MGK612

Reproduction Z2/Z1 heads 17 Jun 2019 06:05 #805910

• MGK612
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2

Ojisan rider wrote: While I was in Japan this April, I picked up this cool magazine. In it, there was a article about the repro Z1/Z2 head.

According to this article, It will be produce using original dimension with modern technology machining. Also in article, it said that head will be package with camshaft bracket, valves and related parts and tappets. However, it does not come with camshaft, cylinder head cover or any gasket(s). Also, exhaust studs will be M8.

Lastly, as I mentioned before, it will be produce using modern technology, it will not have the same finish as original. I guess what they mean is that it may not have the rough casting finish.

As for the price, it was not set yet as of this magazine's printing. They planning to start production run at around Fall 2019 and will start selling them from 2020, but does not say when.

Yeah, I read Japanese too.

This is awesome! I live in Japan, so if you ever need anything/have any special requests, let me know! I source a lot of stuff for a lot of different goods/industries.

I picked up a coo bike magazine the other day, and ironically it was all about the history of the KZ series. It too is all in Japanese (I can read it), but it was such a trip to learn about all of this stuff in another language!

I'll post pics of the magazine later! :)
1977 KZ1000 LTD

Minneapolis/Tokyo
The following user(s) said Thank You: bluezbike

Reproduction Z2/Z1 heads 17 Jun 2019 15:54 #805960

• Injected
  • User
  • Thank you received: 367
Nice looking die cast mold half.

I was in the high pressure Magnesium die cast Industry for 10 years as a parts designer, tier one automotive supplier to FORD/GM/CHRYSLER did those stow and go seat frames, full cross car IP's, rad supports, hoods, lift gates, BORG WARNER trans axle cases etc.

That's what we call a medium sized complex die (4 slides) thru put on that would be slower than a regular die cast mold because of the slides. Aluminum is very similar to magnesium so most things transfer. I estimate the hard tooling/design to cost in the order of $700K-$1M. They had the designs already but they were hand drawn on a drafting board, they would have had to redo the part and mold on a computer as a solid model then write NC programs to produce the die.

The last time production heads were available they were about $1800 US each. I don't expect they will be affordable even if you could get your name on a buyers list.
Attachments:

Last edit: by Injected.