Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

After market gear indicator . 10 May 2019 08:20 #803643

• Minga
  • Minga's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
My '82 KZ440 has a jockey shift. I want to put a gear indicator on it because I lose count. No, I don't have a tach. I have watched numerous videos on YouTube, but they all show a magnet on the shift lever. Has anyone put an AM gear indicator on a jockey before? If so, how did you do it.

Thanks!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

After market gear indicator . 10 May 2019 15:05 #803655

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2043
I have never seen or even heard of one. If the engine is lugging, shift down, if it is screaming, shift up. There are only five to keep track of.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed, Nessism

After market gear indicator . 10 May 2019 18:00 #803658

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

After market gear indicator . 13 May 2019 06:49 #803779

• Minga
  • User
Warning: Spoiler!
TexasKZ,
You have never seen or heard of what? A gear indicator or a jockey shift? Up shifting and down shifting as needed is not the problem. I want to know if I am in neutral at a stop, etc. for convenience.
Unless your instrumentations are not stock, you have a neutral indicator on your bikes. LOL

Last edit: by Minga.

After market gear indicator . 13 May 2019 06:51 #803780

• Minga
  • User
650Ed,
Pfffft! LOL It's one of four bikes I have, but it's the only one that I stripped down and put a jockey shift on. I've been riding it for about four years, but a cheater light would be nice. The original instrument panel had a cheater light on it...

After market gear indicator . 13 May 2019 07:24 #803782

• old_kaw
  • User
  • Thank you received: 269

Minga wrote: 650Ed,
Pfffft! LOL It's one of four bikes I have, but it's the only one that I stripped down and put a jockey shift on. I've been riding it for about four years, but a cheater light would be nice. The original instrument panel had a cheater light on it...

"cheater light"? Are you referring to the neutral indicator light? Since you removed it, it should be no big deal to add one back on. A google search on motorcycle neutral indicator add on has About 3,120,000 results (0.57 seconds) Take your pick. But then again there are aftermarket indicator setups that can easily be just bolted up by a tech savvy guy and GO! LOL Here is one that will probably work great for you.

www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dakota-digit...YEAQYASABEgKGVPD_BwE

There is already a neutral switch on the transmission, just wire a indicator to it. Easy peasy.

A suicide shift on a KZ440 is always impressive. You should post a few pics.

Attachment not found

1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.

Last edit: by SWest. Reason: proofreading is a good thing. :-)

After market gear indicator . 13 May 2019 08:32 #803784

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
If all you need is a neutral light, then all you need is a 12v light bulb. You put 12v to one contact, and the other goes to your neutral switch. The neutral switch is usually located somewhere near the shift drum of the transmission... possibly/probably under the sprocket cover. The manual will show where it is.
The following user(s) said Thank You: old_kaw

After market gear indicator . 13 May 2019 11:42 #803814

• Minga
  • User
Yes, the neutral indicator. It was already gone when I got the bike - lots of things were gone......lol I will check out the link you sent . Here are a few. The second is my brake setup-rods & bell crank. Never replace a brake cable again!
Attachments:

After market gear indicator . 13 May 2019 15:21 #803827

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1892

Minga wrote:
Never replace a brake cable again!

The stock bike never had a brake cable, so where is the improvement???
A push/pull suicide rear brake mechanism!?!? No way,to many parts to fail.
A rear brake cable would be a better life insurance.

Attachments:

After market gear indicator . 13 May 2019 18:28 #803840

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2043

Minga wrote:

Warning: Spoiler!
TexasKZ,
You have never seen or heard of what? A gear indicator or a jockey shift? Up shifting and down shifting as needed is not the problem. I want to know if I am in neutral at a stop, etc. for convenience.
Unless your instrumentations are not stock, you have a neutral indicator on your bikes. LOL

I have never heard of a gear indicator for a motorcycle. Yes, I have heard of a neutral indicator and most of the bikes I have ridden have one, though releasing the clutch lever just a millimeter or two will quickly let me know if I am in neutral or not. As mentioned, if you want one, it is a simple matter of wiring in a tiny light to the existing wiring. You can put it anywhere you like.
If that wiring is missing, it should be a slightly less simple matter of rewriting the switch with a little bulb.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Last edit: by TexasKZ.

After market gear indicator . 13 May 2019 21:43 #803845

• old_kaw
  • User
  • Thank you received: 269

Minga wrote: Yes, the neutral indicator. It was already gone when I got the bike - lots of things were gone......lol I will check out the link you sent . Here are a few. The second is my brake setup-rods & bell crank. Never replace a brake cable again!

Wow, I'm kinda impressed. That bike looks ride-able, unlike the POS that I posted a pic of. Not over powered for sure. :-)

Those links I posted have a bunch of indicator lights that can be wired into the stock neutral indicator light switch. Like my friend loudhvx stated, the neutral switch grounds the circuit, so you would hook the other side of a indicator light to any switched B+ source. (earths the circuit for yall ferigners. :-) )

I did see a few cheap gear indicators, but you need a electronic RPM and Speed signal, and your bike doesn't have either. They could be added, but not worth the hassle.

Scirocco is correct, a cable is more dependable than brake linkage. Fast bikes (and cars) need good brakes, although the front does ~70% of the braking. The Kz 440 is more of a starter bike as is the honda rebel. Not a real big powerhouse, so it's not going to get you into too much trouble if the rear brake linkage fails.

My bike on the other hand is like a caged animal. (or is that ME?) Things can get downright scary at times, even WITH awesome brakes.. :-)

Attachment not found

1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.

Last edit: by old_kaw.

After market gear indicator . 28 May 2019 06:22 #804693

• Minga
  • User
This one did have a stock brake cable. As far as push/pull, it's just push. There is a spring to return it. Parts to fail? 2 rods, a bell crank and a spring. It works great.
It's a lot of fun, and no there is not a lot of power, but it is a good city hopper. (I'd say bar-hopper, but I don't drink & ride).