Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

After market gear indicator . 29 May 2019 08:05 #804778

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1623
What about a Tachometer?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

After market gear indicator . 29 May 2019 08:24 #804779

• old_kaw
  • User
  • Thank you received: 269

martin_csr wrote: What about a Tachometer? ....

OR one of those neat-o shift lights bolted to the handlebars?

It's 2 wires. One to the neutral switch, and one to switched battery voltage. It has been described how to hook one up several times in this thread. A Kawasaki service manual will show you where it is located. This is a drag specialties neutral light. Notice it consists of 2 wires.

www.denniskirk.com/drag-specialties/neut...uEAQYASABEgIEc_D_BwE

The wiring above your battery could use some cleaning up. Make up your own wiring harness, and make all of those other things works at the same time. Tape it all up then attach it to the frame.

BTW, you can see the brake linkage on the right side of that totally custom Kz440 that I posted a pic of. The brake linkage >pulls< on the drum brake pivot arm. If you are pushing on it, it may work, but the rod could bend if too much brake pressure is applied. No biggie, things can't too get crazy at 40 mph. :huh:

Attachment not found

1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.

Last edit: by old_kaw.

After market gear indicator . 29 May 2019 08:40 #804780

• old_kaw
  • User
  • Thank you received: 269

martin_csr wrote: The neutral switch is pretty simple. See reply by loudhvx above.
>> 12V power wire to neutral light >> another wire from neutral light to neutral switch >>
>> the neutral switch completes the circuit to ground to turn on the light. pretty simple.
Usually, the stock wire harness has kind of a flag terminal with cover for the neutral switch. not sure how easily one of those terminals can be sourced to fit the neutral switch. I would use the same color wire as in the wiring diagram.

KZ650 wire harness. The 440 neutral switch terminal is probably the same.
For the harness below, there would be another wire from the male bullet terminal (green wire) to the neutral light.

That makes perfect sense martin. That harness also includes the yellow stator wires for the charging system. I didn't see a R/R in the pics either, but I may have overlooked that.

My first bike (~8 Years old) was a Sears Alllstate moped that had a 6 volt coil and small battery strapped to it. When the battery went dead, it was time to start pedaling, although it was easier to just push it. :pinch:
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.

After market gear indicator . 29 May 2019 09:02 #804782

• Minga
  • Minga's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Nope! No instrumentation whatsoever.

After market gear indicator . 29 May 2019 10:42 #804787

• martin_csr
  • User
In the pics on the previous page it looks like you have a speedo or tach. As mentioned, you could install a dedicated neutral light.
Or install a speedo w indictor lights so that you can wire up various lights. oil. neutral. high beam. turn signal. or whatever.

old_kaw: the wire harness photo is from a KZ650. I added the pic so that he could see what the neutral switch terminal looks like.

Minga. The neutral switch is probably near the Fr sprocket & it would be preferable to use a flag terminal, so that the wires don't get caught by the Fr sprocket or chain. There may also be a wire clamp nearby to keep the wires secure. also, you'd want the terminal to have a good cover. otherwise, the elec connection will get dirty, then you'd end up with a glitchy neutral light.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

After market gear indicator . 30 May 2019 06:30 #804858

• Minga
  • Minga's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I should have said there is a speedo, but it's for looks if I get pulled over lol. The speedometer gear doesn't work. It is also just a speedo, no indicator lights.

After market gear indicator . 30 May 2019 07:17 #804864

• martin_csr
  • User
I would fix the speedo drive & get a speedometer with indicator lights >> oil warning light. neutral indicator. high beam. etc.
If you need a simplified wiring diagram, loudhvx provided a bunch of bare bones diagrams for a variety of KZ models.
KZR search = bare bones for mattylight. topic by loudhvx. see pages 11-on (most of them are missing on pgs 1-10)

Rear brake shoes. If the shoes' age is unknown, you should replace them >> old brake shoes can fail & lock the rear wheel.

Last edit: by martin_csr.