TOPIC:

After market gear indicator . 28 May 2019 07:15 #804699

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2624

old_kaw wrote:

Minga wrote: 650Ed,
Pfffft! LOL It's one of four bikes I have, but it's the only one that I stripped down and put a jockey shift on. I've been riding it for about four years, but a cheater light would be nice. The original instrument panel had a cheater light on it...

"cheater light"? Are you referring to the neutral indicator light? Since you removed it, it should be no big deal to add one back on. A google search on motorcycle neutral indicator add on has About 3,120,000 results (0.57 seconds) Take your pick. But then again there are aftermarket indicator setups that can easily be just bolted up by a tech savvy guy and GO! LOL Here is one that will probably work great for you.

www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dakota-digit...YEAQYASABEgKGVPD_BwE

There is already a neutral switch on the transmission, just wire a indicator to it. Easy peasy.

A suicide shift on a KZ440 is always impressive. You should post a few pics.

Attachment not found

:lol: :lol: :lol: That indicator setup is worth more than the bike in the pic IMO. Didn't Honda or Suzuki have them for a while? I thought it was a good idea but looking down while "RIDING THE PISS OUT OF IT" :woohoo: could be a little dangerous. :whistle:
I use the neutral indicator all the time (making sure it isn't in gear while putting it on the centerstand) or shifting it up while the engine is off. I do keep looking for 6th gear sometimes but a gear indicator wouldn't help me there either. :S Best to know your machine and focus on the road. B)
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

After market gear indicator . 28 May 2019 07:23 #804701

• old_kaw
  • User
  • Thank you received: 269
Whaaat? Don't be putting down my dream bike Steve! Your'e just jealous, but don't despair! It is probably STILL for sale after all of these years for the pidly sum of $3500.00. (need to look for the email) Ya gotta pay for all of those time consuming custom "UPGRADES" ya know! lol

Just check out all of that meticulously done custom work this fine machine has seen.

Attachment not found

1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.

Last edit: by old_kaw.

After market gear indicator . 28 May 2019 07:31 #804703

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
See em all the time on CL. Some even say will trade for HD. This one was listed a couple years ago. :sick:
Steve
Attachments:

After market gear indicator . 28 May 2019 07:38 #804704

• old_kaw
  • User

SWest wrote: See em all the time on CL. Some even say will trade for HD. This one was listed a couple years ago. :sick:
Steve

Yep! Usually accompanied with big words such as : no title, does not run, just needs XXXXX finished. The idiot that sent me these pics wanted to trade me for a running, titled, licensed 81 Harley XLH that I was advertising on CL, or sell it to me outright for $3500.00. I guess when they are cobling up the bike their custom deliriousness gets fogged over as to how much they are fkin up a ride-able motorcycle.

Attachment not found

Notice the plug wires? This is ANOTHER one that will SOON need a new coil. Not to worry, it doesn't run. lol
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1

Last edit: by old_kaw.

After market gear indicator . 28 May 2019 07:43 #804706

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
To each his own I always say. :whistle:
Steve

After market gear indicator . 28 May 2019 12:42 #804723

• Minga
  • Minga's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Ok...symantics....not a gear indicator, but a neutral light. There was no instrumentation whatsoever when I got it. The clutch cable & the brake cables were hanging loose, attached to nothing (levers were missing), the shifter was an arm. Hey, it was free so....

After market gear indicator . 28 May 2019 15:14 #804731

• old_kaw
  • User
Add in a neutral indicator light. Not rocket surgery. Free is good! I like free. :-)
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1

After market gear indicator . 29 May 2019 06:03 #804765

• Minga
  • User
That's what I'm trying to figure out how to do. There wasn't a wiring harness, so I have no idea where it would connect up.

After market gear indicator . 29 May 2019 06:53 #804774

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1623
The neutral switch is pretty simple. See reply by loudhvx above.
>> 12V power wire to neutral light >> another wire from neutral light to neutral switch >> that's it.
>> the neutral switch completes the circuit to ground to turn on the light. pretty simple.
Usually, the stock wire harness has kind of a flag terminal for the neutral switch (see pic). not sure how easily one of those terminals with cover can be sourced that fits the neutral switch. I would use the same color wire as in the wiring diagram.

KZ650 wire harness >> note flag terminal. The 440 neutral switch terminal is probably the same.
For the harness below, there would be another wire from the male bullet terminal (green wire) to the neutral light.

The following user(s) said Thank You: old_kaw

Last edit: by martin_csr.

After market gear indicator . 29 May 2019 07:03 #804775

• Minga
  • User
Your explanation is great, however I do not have a neutral light and I have no clue if I have a neutral switch. When I got it, it had no instrumentation, no wiring. Currently I have a few wires hooked up. Turn the key on, head light (no high beam); brake light, turn signals. The turn signals are toggle switches from Radio Shack. I have looked in the service manual, but I'm not finding what I need.

After market gear indicator . 29 May 2019 07:09 #804776

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1623
The neutral switch on your motorcycle is probably still there. On the 650 it's near the Fr drive sprocket & usually covered in grunge from the drive chain. Does your speedometer have any unused warning lights or indicator lights? Some aftermarket speedos have a slew of them built in. If yours doesn't have any, then I would get a different speedo that does. I saw several at dimecitycycles.

Or you could install a motorcycle neutral light. listed on EB & dimecitycycles.
EB item # 392119319098 .... I don't know if this one is waterproof.

Rear brake shoes. If you don't know how old the brake shoes are, you should replace them as they can fail & lock the rear wheel.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

After market gear indicator . 29 May 2019 07:54 #804777

• Minga
  • User
I don't have a speedometer.