• Page:

TOPIC:

Removing cilinder 17 Oct 2018 17:32 #792455

• Sayonara
  • Sayonara's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • The faster the better
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello I am lucky enough to open a KZ 1000 engine for the first time, I have Goth the head out and all the rest of the stuff until the cylinder, but I can't get the cylinder out
I grew up riding and fixing all sort of small bike until I inherited A 1977 GS 750 when I was 16, that changed my life completely I love metric bike and I own a few fully working and have some projects.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Removing cilinder 17 Oct 2018 17:33 #792457

• Sayonara
  • User
  • The faster the better

Sayonara wrote: Hello I am lucky enough to open a KZ 1000 engine for the first time, I have Goth the head out and all the rest of the stuff until the cylinder, but I can't get the cylinder out it been there since 1979 any Ideas on how to loosen the head without causing damage to the part?
Thanks in advance

I grew up riding and fixing all sort of small bike until I inherited A 1977 GS 750 when I was 16, that changed my life completely I love metric bike and I own a few fully working and have some projects.

Removing cilinder 17 Oct 2018 17:57 #792458

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
Make sure ALL the fasteners are out. You may have missed two that are down inside the camshaft tunnel. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Removing cilinder 17 Oct 2018 20:06 #792461

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1021
I may be mistaken but I don't believe there are any bolts holding the cylinders other than the 12 crankshaft studs. If the head is off then you would have already removed them along with the two outside bolts beside sparkplugs ! and 4.

Take out the cam chain guides. You should be able to remove the cylinders, as long as the pistons move freely, although the cylinders may be stuck to the gasket mating to the crankcase. There are also two dowel pins located on the front outside mounting studs between the bottom of the cylinders and the top of the crankcase. They might be holding the cylinders along with the gasket. I think beginning in 1979 there should be a spot to insert a thin wedge to start the process. If not, take a thin chisel and begin lightly tapping it into the gap between the bottom of the cylinders and the top of the crankcase. The cylinders should begin to move.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sayonara

Last edit: by hardrockminer.

Removing cilinder 17 Oct 2018 21:30 #792465

• Sayonara
  • User
  • The faster the better
Yes I did it there where 2 marks on the side of the cylinders where I manage with a chisel.
Thanks

Removing cilinder 17 Oct 2018 21:35 #792467

• Sayonara
  • User
  • The faster the better
Any suggestions in how to remove the gaskets from the bottom of the crankcase, cylinder bottom and top ,head bottom?
Thanks

Removing cilinder 18 Oct 2018 05:44 #792473

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1021
I use a spray on gasket remover, a wire brush (not steel) and a lot of of elbow grease.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

Removing cilinder 18 Oct 2018 07:41 #792479

• scubaanders
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 233
Gasket remover and a one sided plastic razorblade scraper. Where the razor blade made of plastic, that is as the plastic blade don't take out any metal.
A sharpen price of plexiglas can also do the trick.
/A
Gpz750R1 1982
Gpz750A1 1983
Gpz1100A2 1984
FZ750 1985
Gpz900R -91

Last edit: by scubaanders.
  • Page: