Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Ignition timing way off and idle surging 25 Sep 2015 09:09 #691881

• ttfraz
  • ttfraz's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey guys I have a whole slew of problems. First of when I start my bike (1980 KZ440) I start it with the choke on and the it sways between 1500 rpm and 3000. Prob every two seconds it surges up the. Two seconds later slips back down. Then when I go to take the choke off the bike revs up to about 4000 and then dies. Any suggestions. I've had the carbs of a dozen times. It has the stock airbox. I've checked for leaks around the boots and have found none tho I'm not certain there isn't one. I've tweaked the idle screw and the pilot screws. Can't seem to figure it out. Just set the valve clearances. The other problem is that my timing seems to be way off. Using a timing light it shows they are off but then when I go to rotate the plate that holds the points as the manual says it's already maxed out and I can't rotate it enough to set the timing. Any help would be greatly appreciated
1980 KZ440-A1 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ignition timing way off and idle surging 25 Sep 2015 15:26 #691915

• DGA
  • User
  • Thank you received: 9
The high idle is usually a vacuum leak at the carbs somewhere, see if the carb mounts are old or cracked or not sealing to the head or carbs. Also check vacuum hoses, replace with new hoses.
"83 KZ1100 Spectre, '81 Yamaha XV750 Cafe, '74 Kawasaki H2B 750

Ignition timing way off and idle surging 25 Sep 2015 16:53 #691930

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
If not already done, would assure that the timing advancer is properly functioning and isn't sticking due to corrosion or weak/broken springs.

It should not look anything like this:

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

Ignition timing way off and idle surging 26 Sep 2015 04:07 #691986

• jertho
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
If CV carbs are not synchronized pretty close it can cause the idle to surge. When you had the carbs apart did you check the rubber diaframs for tears?
Jerry
1978 kz750 twin

• Page: