Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ900 Points 27 Apr 2015 18:22 #669811

• scooter1226
  • scooter1226's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Are there any Automobile Points that fit a KZ900? My old Harleys used V6 engine points. Just wondering as I prefer to run to NAPA rather then some overseas website. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ900 Points 27 Apr 2015 18:26 #669813

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2710
...or drive to your local Kawasaki dealership and order OEM points. Z1 Enterprises in New York sells tons of Kawasaki parts too, if you want to shop behind your computer.

KZ900 Points 27 Apr 2015 18:47 #669815

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
"rather then some overseas website"

Overseas website? Where do you normally buy motorcycle parts? There are many, many places in the US to buy stuff like points and other maintenance items. Along with Z1E, who offers a selection, there are numerous other bike parts places in the US that sell them. Even Amazon sells them! If you're looking for genuine Kawasaki points they can easily be found on eBay offered by sellers in the US. Do yourself a big favor and buy points and other parts that are designed for your specific motorcycle rather than trying to stick points from a 1958 Oldsmobile or some other car in your KZ900. Why try to reinvent the wheel over a $20 item? Don't forget to replace the condensers at the same time. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

KZ900 Points 27 Apr 2015 19:04 #669817

• missionkz
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 184
I ran a points plate with GM auto points on it for years.
The gap was set narrow, dwell was large, because the points were huge by comparison so the spark was a little fatter.
And, it even had a little neon lamp on the back that blinked every time the point would open so you could check the timing without having to connect a strobe timing light....
That was dubious at best but it did blink.... just had to see it in greatly subdued lighting.
Dumped this in favor of my Dyna III..... which ran for many many many years until just this late winter early spring. Have stock Kaw points back in now.

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado
Attachments:

KZ900 Points 27 Apr 2015 21:21 #669830

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2649
I've got one of them laying in my dump heap. GM points were cheaper and had to use Ford condensers. Went back to the stock set up. I ruined a Dyna S when a battery cable broke. I think my son threw it away with some of my other old parts and shims 15 years ago. I have a new Dyna S and keep my points set up and cam under the seat just in case.
Steve

KZ900 Points 29 Mar 2016 08:10 #717970

• matt1987
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a 1976 kz900 and I'm new to working on motorcycles. The kz900 that I just bought has electronic ignition instead of the original points. This bike ran a year ago and started having misfire problems. Now that I bought the bike I check the spark at the plugs and I'm not getting any spark at all. This bike has the accel super coils on it and I need to know where to start and how to check my coils or how to check my electronic ignition. The guy I bought it from gave me all his old points set and said it would be better to put them back on. I looked at the points versus electronic and I don't know if he has everything in the box to put the points back on in case the electronic is bad the points have two wires and the electronic has four all together. Do I take all that off and just put the points back in with the two wire setup or am I missing two more wires. I bought the bike pretty cheap and I'm wanting to get it running again and sell it. Don't really wanna put a whole lot of money into it. And helpful hint would be greatly appreciated.

Last edit: by matt1987.

KZ900 Points 29 Mar 2016 11:32 #718014

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098

matt1987 wrote: ...1976 kz900...electronic ignition instead of the original points. This bike ran a year ago and started having misfire problems. Now that I bought the bike I check the spark at the plugs and I'm not getting any spark at all....

not getting any spark at all --- when checking for spark with plug removed (but otherwise connected), the plug's base should be held grounded against the engine head while spinning over the engine with ignition switched ON and the kill switch in RUN position,

If still no spark, would then proceed with other tests.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• Page: