Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ440 Engine Snap/Noise (video) 05 Aug 2014 17:28 #642802

• tonedeff
  • tonedeff's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I've been working on my recently purchased kz440 for a few weeks now. The carbs are cleaned, new spark plugs etc. I'm getting this odd snapping sound coming from the motor that i'm unsure about. This sound was not as apparent when i viewed the bike for purchase. I had the bike cutoff on me (gradual loss of power to eventual failure and would not start back up) about a week ago. I've since been able to get it going, and it starts great, which i think rules out battery/charging system issues from the cutoff. However, ever since then this knock/snap has gotten worse. If someone can listen to my video and give me somewhere to start that would be fantastic. I've been reading up on it, and theres about a billion and one "funny noise" threads, just though a video would give me a better response. Thanks to anyone who can assist.

Also, at about 2-3000 rpm, i'm feeling what appears to be a miss if i hold throttle there. It happens without fail, but once i'm past it it's smooth (other than the snap sound, which is throughout the powerband)...

Attachment IMG_1198.mov not found

1981 KZ440 A-2
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by tonedeff.

KZ440 Engine Snap/Noise (video) 05 Aug 2014 18:06 #642808

• nickleo373
  • User
  • Thank you received: 33
It sounds like it may be the cam chain slapping the valve cover. Is it coming from the top of the engine?
1981 KZ550C LTD
"If you ain't first, you're last"

KZ440 Engine Snap/Noise (video) 05 Aug 2014 18:10 #642809

• tonedeff
  • User

nickleo373 wrote: It sounds like it may be the cam chain slapping the valve cover. Is it coming from the top of the engine?

to be honest, it's super hard to tell. If i'm standing on the left side though, it sounds like the right side. And if i get down on the right (like the video) it sounds like its right in the middle. It snaps so crisp in person its really hard to tell, but i'm fairly confident its lower right or middle of motor (maybe right under carb area???). I definitely think it's in the bottom end, but i could be off...
1981 KZ440 A-2

KZ440 Engine Snap/Noise (video) 05 Aug 2014 19:29 #642819

• Nebr_Rex
  • User
  • Thank you received: 295
What did you do to get it running again?

As posted above probably your can chain.
Post your video on you tube I'm not opening a file from some unknown.

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0

KZ440 Engine Snap/Noise (video) 05 Aug 2014 20:27 #642826

• tonedeff
  • User

Nebr_Rex wrote: What did you do to get it running again?

As posted above probably your can chain.
Post your video on you tube I'm not opening a file from some unknown.

My apologies, i completely understand

www.youtube.com/v/Q35YcrTMnHk

It was running upon purchase, then i had the incident after about 20 mins of riding. Honestly, i didnt have a thermometer, but it felt incredibly hot, so i'm suspecting overheating. But, i let it sit a few days because i thought maybe the charging system was crap and was going to need to charge the battery. Went back, re-sat all the fuses (one did appear dislodged, maybe prevented charging?) and checked electrics and gave it a chance, took a minute but eventually fired up. Just have this crazy tap now...other than that she really runs great, this tap is just giving me a worry...
1981 KZ440 A-2

Last edit: by tonedeff.

KZ440 Engine Snap/Noise (video) 06 Aug 2014 03:28 #642849

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Would check valve clearances and cam chain tension, and adjust to specs if needed.
And also check the oil level and condition of the oil, and change it if needed.
Assure that the spark plugs size and heat-range are correct as specified in the service manual,

Check the ignition timing advancer to assure that it's functioning correctly.
When viewed under a timing light, should be able to see the timing mark quickly move back and forth with changing rpm by blipping the throttle.
A timing advancer stuck in the retarded idle position will result in lack of power and over-heating.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

KZ440 Engine Snap/Noise (video) 06 Aug 2014 03:45 #642850

• Nebr_Rex
  • User
  • Thank you received: 295
1) pull the plugs, check to see if they are firing. Visually ,the electrode and tip will have clean ,bare metal showing.
To test them hook up the plug wire and ground electrode against the engine. Optimum spark will have a blue hue
around it.
2) check compression. No need for a gauge. With both plugs out open the throttle all the way and spin the engine over. Place your thumb or finger over the spark plug hole. Good compression will blow passed your finger.
Both cylinders should be about the same.
3) if you still hear the noise while spinning the engine during the compression check you have mechanical problems.
That would not be a death sentence, yet.
Perform these test and we can get you back to running on both cylinders again. Going by the video you are running on
one cylinder.

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0

KZ440 Engine Snap/Noise (video) 06 Aug 2014 03:50 #642851

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
This link should allow free download of a KZ440 factory service manual.
www.kz440ltd.wz.cz/kawasaki-kz440-service-manual.pdf

And here's another good reference source:
kz400.createforumhosting.com/videos-of-kz400-f85.html

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Last edit: by Patton.

KZ440 Engine Snap/Noise (video) 06 Aug 2014 05:23 #642857

• tonedeff
  • User

Patton wrote: Would check valve clearances and cam chain tension, and adjust to specs if needed.
And also check the oil level and condition of the oil, and change it if needed.
Assure that the spark plugs size and heat-range are correct as specified in the service manual,

Check the ignition timing advancer to assure that it's functioning correctly.
When viewed under a timing light, should be able to see the timing mark quickly move back and forth with changing rpm by blipping the throttle.
A timing advancer stuck in the retarded idle position will result in lack of power and over-heating.

Thanks Patton!

The oil is fresh, as I've just changed (found prior owner has overfilled). Just put in new spark plugs, freshly gapped. I'll pull them tonight and check for ignition evidence since starting it last night. I know I'm getting firing from my left cylinder, but the compression does seem a little low. I only got my finger popped off ever third or forth turn or so. Valve clearances are easy enough to check on these bikes so I'll jump on that and search for the tensioner adjustment info. Thanks guys!
1981 KZ440 A-2

KZ440 Engine Snap/Noise (video) 06 Aug 2014 18:09 #642967

• tonedeff
  • User
So just an update...

I removed the cam chain tensioner, cleaned it off and reinstalled. Also, removed the timing advancer (elec ignition) and man that thing needed cleaning. Anyways, got it cleaned and lubed up and.........no change. Still a loud snapping. Ironically, the bike is starting up really well and feels like it's strong, but having the slap and the slow throttle release at idle. If I release the throttle it's slow to drop rpms...

Guys think this is a carb issue and I should go back and re-tune? Could the carbs cause the noise if it's that far out of balance?
1981 KZ440 A-2

KZ440 Engine Snap/Noise (video) 09 Aug 2014 20:56 #643279

• Tyler
  • User
  • Thank you received: 92
Ahh I know that sound, the Kawi-clunck. Check your primary chain, the guides are plastic and can break. The 400/440 twins will make noise in the primary if the carbs are out of sync too. When you take off in gear is the noise louder, liker a slapping sound?

I had a 440 that did that, I had to replace the primary chain and gears to get rid of it, I think that idling the bike on the kick stand may cause excess wear on the primary from oil starvation... just theory anyway because I have heard several that sound like that.
If I knew what I was doing all the time life wouldn't be any fun.

'80 KZ650 E 700cc, dyna ignition and coils, frame up restoration, daily driver
'81 KZ1300 A3 full restoration, custom big bore pistons, 1400cc 6 cylinder super bike
"77 KZ650 B1 - Barn Find, work in progeress
"74 Yamaha DT 400 Enduro
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jbosh

KZ440 Engine Snap/Noise (video) 26 Sep 2014 13:46 #648908

• Jbosh
  • User
  • 1982 Kz440 ltd D4
  • Thank you received: 5
So glad I found this! @tonedeff I have the same problem right now that you are describing! Keep me posted! I'll let you know if I discover the problem in mine if i don't see a post from you yet. I was just about to upload a vid of my ticking noise! Thanks so much for getting this thread going. Happy fixing! @Tyler, thanks for your help! What if the noise does get louder when you take off in gear?
As long as I get to learn something, I'm happy!

Last edit: by Jbosh.
  • Page: