Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ440 Engine Snap/Noise (video) 18 Oct 2014 03:36 #651000

• Janklaassen
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
It appears as though i have the same issue. I went through the regular checks of the usual suspects; Cam chain was in optima forma, tensioner was functioning correctly and the valve clearances were O.K. The direction of the noise indeed pointed towards the primary chain. I do not understand however, how a rattling primary chain can cause power loss above 3000 rpm.
KZ440-A (LTD) 1981
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jbosh

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ440 Engine Snap/Noise (video) 18 Jun 2019 05:43 #805982

• Robvolle
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Help!!! I have the same thing going on with my bike. Did you ever find the solution?

KZ440 Engine Snap/Noise (video) 18 Jun 2019 06:50 #805989

• WannaBeBillyLane
  • User

Robvolle wrote: Help!!! I have the same thing going on with my bike. Did you ever find the solution?

bad news my friend, i had this exact same issue with my 1979 kz440 and we were diagnosing it and running the bike, it too lost power just as described. had a stock wiring harness and battery and everything, unfortunately my connecting rod let loose and blew my motor apart. i would definitley not run it anymore and check the cylinder walls with a scope thing.
1979 KZ400/440 BOBBER
1977 KZ650B

KZ440 Engine Snap/Noise (video) 13 Apr 2020 12:28 #823253

• satinvdub
  • User
i just read this "i know 6 years late to help the poster" but had all the same issues then today un earthed that the crank balance chain had snapped not sure if its the route of all my running issues but 100% where all the noise was coming from !

KZ440 Engine Snap/Noise (video) 20 Apr 2020 19:42 #823778

• F64
  • User
  • 81-KZ440D2
  • Thank you received: 353
I think I posted..apologies if i double posted..I may still be in newbie purgatory...

Anyway, mine makes the same noise sometimes.. It happened to be the carburetor choke plates flapping in the bore.
Lift the seat, unscrew the air cleaner, and start her up. Use your phone's camera to see if your plates are flapping in the breeze.
81-KZ440-D2.
Louis Dudzik's GM HEI ignitor conversion installed 2015 s3.amazonaws.com/gpzweb/Ignition/GPZgmHEImod.html
Motogadget m-unit blue installed 2017.
LIC, NY

Last edit: by F64.
  • Page: