Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Possible broken valve spring!? 22 Jun 2006 16:33 #56356

• letthegoodtimesroll
  • letthegoodtimesroll's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I have been having trouble with the #4 cylinder intake valve making a ticking noise. This only seems to happen after it heats up. I checked the valve clearances and they are all good (between 0.08 mm and 0.18mm) according to the manual. I then pulled the the camshafts to see if I could see anything out of the ordinary. I did notice the shim for that valve had marks on it where the top of the valve had hit it. How could the shim come out of place? and could my oil pressure problems be linked to this some how? Any help would be appreciated as the good riding weather is here and I'm sitting scratching my head!:(
1977 KZ650C1, Kerker Header, Dyna ignition and coils, GPZ 750 oil pan and cooler

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Possible broken valve spring!? 23 Jun 2006 04:52 #56469

• BSKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
try and check for guide wear, see if you can move the valve side to side.
what kind of oil pressure problems are you having?
77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

Possible broken valve spring!? 23 Jun 2006 04:59 #56470

• letthegoodtimesroll
  • letthegoodtimesroll's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Once the engine warms up the oil light will come on at idle and sometimes even @ 2000rpm the light is on. When I hand lapped the valves over the winter, everything appeared fine. I have a post here reference the oil pressure issue if you need more detail.
1977 KZ650C1, Kerker Header, Dyna ignition and coils, GPZ 750 oil pan and cooler

Possible broken valve spring!? 23 Jun 2006 05:38 #56479

• BSKZ650
  • User
what kind of oil, and is it 10/40?
also is there any chance that it has been thinned out with gas?
76 kz900, just waiting

Possible broken valve spring!? 23 Jun 2006 05:39 #56481

• BSKZ650
  • User
just thought of something also, if the timing is off or the carbs are not set right mine gets some strange rattles in the top end
76 kz900, just waiting

Possible broken valve spring!? 23 Jun 2006 05:49 #56482

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
#4 tends to have just a little less oil in there at start up compared to #1 if you park on the side stand. I would first look at the oiling issue. Your shim is tucked under the bucket so the valve will never touch the cam lobe. The bucket will. IIf you have sufficient clearance, I suspect the #4 side is a bit dry?

Anyway, first thing to do is pull your oil pan. You can clean the sludge that will be in the bottom of the pan. If you don't have a magnetic drain plug, buy and install one. If you have one, look for stuff stuck to it to see if there is anything significant. Next I would pull out the oil pump and clean the screen good and see if the pump appeared to be working as it should. It is driven off the crank and pretty simple and not prone to failure. Low oil pressure MAY mean just a clogged up screen. Then pull the valve cover and get some safety glasses on and a long sleeve shirt. Get a compressor with an air gun and blow out the air passageways. Hopefully something isn't stuck in them that can't be blown out.

Last, carefully look at buykawasaki.com or your factory service manual for the section on the oil filter. It has a washer and spring and if assembled incorrectly into the engine, the oil flow can be hurt or stopped in some conditions. Make sure that stuff is right.

Once the oiling issue is right, you will likely find that your bucket isn't snicking your cam lobe.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Possible broken valve spring!? 23 Jun 2006 09:19 #56552

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35

did notice the shim for that valve had marks on it where the top of the valve had hit it. How could the shim come out of place

The shim will come out if there is not enough spring force to keep the valve against the shim. The cause can be a weak spring or a tight valve or both. When the shim contacts the valve again it will mark the shim.

You can compare your spring strength by compressing without removing the head. \

If valve guide was OK clearance wise when you did your valves, the valve stem could have carboned up. A bent valve will also 'stick'.

-Duck

• Page: