• Page:

TOPIC:

81' KZ1000 CSR M1 Exhaust Gaskets needed 02 Dec 2012 15:05 #560972

• rhoadley
  • rhoadley's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello community,

I have a pretty big exhaust leak coming out of cylinder number 2 and was wondering which exhaust gaskets I would need. Bike is completely stock for the most part. Picture attached. Here is a list from bikebandit of every nut and bolt for the exhaust. Bikebandit list of exhaust parts

Thanks in advance for the help,
Ryan
1981 KZ1000 CSR M1 - Stock/Clean
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

81' KZ1000 CSR M1 Exhaust Gaskets needed 03 Dec 2012 02:36 #561109

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
Go to www.z1enterprises.com and get a set(4) of Suzuki exhaust gaskets. They are a little thicker than the Kawasaki ones are. Make sure there are no partial gaskets in the exhaust ports, and no rough surfaces on the exhaust pipes for a good seal.
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)
The following user(s) said Thank You: rhoadley

81' KZ1000 CSR M1 Exhaust Gaskets needed 03 Dec 2012 03:15 #561116

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098

rhoadley wrote: ...have a pretty big exhaust leak coming out of cylinder number 2 and was wondering which exhaust gaskets I would need. Bike is completely stock for the most part....

Handsome bike! :cheer:

Each exhaust clamp has 2 nuts.
Perhaps one of the exhaust clamp nuts on cylinder number 2 has loosened.
Would assure that the exhaust clamp nuts are snug.

When a new exhaust gasket is needed, would consider:
Click > www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDetails.aspx?i...00&item=EM13-87827-1

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Last edit: by Patton.

81' KZ1000 CSR M1 Exhaust Gaskets needed 03 Dec 2012 11:09 #561148

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1623
When you remove the exhaust system, make sure there aren't any old gaskets stuck or hidden in there. Also, if you still have a leak after installing new gaskets & resnugging the nuts doesn't help, you could try different gaskets.

Z1Enterprises.com - Yamaha aftermarket Exhaust Gaskets KL16-5533-1 - 32mm x 42mm x 3.0mm

Z1Enterprises.com - Suzuki aftermarket Exhaust Gaskets EM13-87851-1 - 32mm x 42mm x 5.0mm

Last edit: by martin_csr.

81' KZ1000 CSR M1 Exhaust Gaskets needed 03 Dec 2012 18:32 #561190

• rhoadley
  • User
All,

Thanks so much for the timely replies. Based on all your help and dissassebling the actual exhaust, I now know what I NEED to help fix my leak. Does anybody think it would be beneficial to also buy the semi-circle shaped collar gaskets as well? I might anyways depending on cost.

Thanks everybody,

Ryan

81' KZ1000 CSR M1 Exhaust Gaskets needed 03 Dec 2012 19:55 #561198

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1623
my mistake - misread the reply

Last edit: by martin_csr.

81' KZ1000 CSR M1 Exhaust Gaskets needed 03 Dec 2012 22:29 #561224

• Patton
  • KZr Legend

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

81' KZ1000 CSR M1 Exhaust Gaskets needed 03 Dec 2012 22:35 #561228

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
Installation of exhaust system.

Assure the old exhaust gaskets are removed from the head, as they are sometimes so encrusted into the head you don't realize they're still there.

Would also check for a second old gasket encrusted in the exhaust port. Sometimes, two old gaskets are used during reassembly instead of one new gasket.

Would always use new copper crush gaskets.

Usually the split collars are okay to reinstall (after cleaning with wire brush).

After removing all old gaskets, and cleaning the engine exhaust port recess areas with q-tips and acetone, use a dab of Permatex high-temp copper silicone to hold each new gasket in its place inside the port. Let the Permatex set up for a few minutes so it will hold the gaskets in place while you're busy keeping all the collars and clamps together and pushing the header into position without parts falling all over. For me, grease is just too messy and imo less effective toward enhancing the seal.

Fit a pair of split collars onto each header pipe with the small non-flared end pointing toward the engine to press against the flared ends of the header pipes. The flared ends of the split collars fit into recesses in the exhaust clamps.

In other words, the split collars are positioned with the plain end abutting the header flange and with the other end (the curved end) snugly fitted inside the clamp channel. Sometimes it requires some maneuvering to assure close snug fit at the clamp/collar interface.

If preferred, may use masking tape or rubber bands to hold the split collars in place together on the pipe during the installation.
Then it's much easier to lift and maneuver the header into position when only having to fool with the clamps and assuring fitment at all the clamp/collar interfaces.

So with exhaust clamps hanging loosely around header pipes and new copper gaskets fitted inside the head recesses with a dab of hi-temp sealant holding them in position, and split collars taped in position, hold the headers in place on the head against the gaskets.

While holding everything in position, loosely start the clamp holder nuts onto the exhaust studs, and assure all parts being properly fitted and aligned before tightening the exhaust stud nuts against the collars.

Clamps press against split collars.

Split collars press against header flanges.

Header flanges press against copper gaskets.

Good luck with the installation.

And for those using rubber bands:

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

81' KZ1000 CSR M1 Exhaust Gaskets needed 04 Dec 2012 19:27 #561386

• rhoadley
  • User
Patton,

Or should I say General "KZ" Patton! Ha! Thanks for the tips/step-by-step on the re-installation of the exhuast and gaskets. I have ordered the Thicker Suzuki 5mm copper crush gaskets along with the split-collars from Z1. I beleive I ordered the correct size split collar because I have a stock exhuast and just ordered OEM split collars. Everything else should be good to use. I also plan on using some Permatex exhaust gasket sealant to ensure everything is held in place and is good to go.
Thanks everybody else for the help as well. If I run into problems reassembling the exhaust, I know where to go.

• Page: