Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Head porting tool questions 12 Jun 2006 06:51 #53878

• inline4
  • inline4's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi guys. I'm about to start the clean-up and rebuild of my ZR7 head. I need to clean up the combustion chambers and maybe do some light polishing on the exhaust ports.
I have the big Dremel set-up but was curious if there is anything out there that is specifically made for aluminum heads. Btw, I have a couple of old Z1 heads to practice on.
All tips and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Jim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Head porting tool questions 12 Jun 2006 11:17 #53961

• solomrus
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
number one tool that i can think of for head work is a flow bench.

if that isn't possible. find someone that has one that might be sympathetic to your cause, and do some flow testing for you before, during, and after you finish.

that way, you are better able to quantify if your changes make any beneficial gains. it's too easy to do more harm than good.

carbide burrs cut aluminum VERY fast. things can go wrong quick, and get out of hand at the speed of light. sanding rolls are slower, but more forgiving.

a dremel will do the work, expect to spend a LOT of time with one. an air die grinder would be ideal. second choice would be an electric one. variable speed.

clean the carbon off the combustion chambers with either a wire wheel, or use some purple power cleaner. it will leave a nice shiney finish on the surface. it will take a little elbow grease, but a nice brass brush should be all you need.

before on the left, after on the right. just pp and wire brush.

--r
198o kz1ooo Bravo Four

Head porting tool questions 12 Jun 2006 11:34 #53964

• APE Jay
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 58
If you are just going to shine up some areas, the Dremel would be OK. What you need is a grinder that takes tools with a 1/4" shank. The air grinders are very cheap, but if you don't have air, they don't work too well.

Here is the company that all of the cylinder head people get their supplies from;
www.sa-motorsports.com/

Good luck

Jay

Post edited by: APE Jay, at: 2006/06/12 14:35

• Page: