Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Cam chain tensioner MO 09 Jun 2006 12:32 #53202

• BARNEYHYPHEN
  • BARNEYHYPHEN's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
To get maximum slack removal from the cam chain, is there a certain position I should turn the engine to so when I loosen the manual tensioner bolt/nut it will attain max take-up? 1976 Kz900.

Clockwise a couple of turns then stop at the 1/4 or 2/3 "F" mark? Or doesn't it matter?

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cam chain tensioner MO 09 Jun 2006 12:55 #53208

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Loosen the locknut and back out the bolt that holds the rod. Turn the engine over by hand at least two rotations and tighten. I know the manual suggests TDC but why? Doens't seem to make much sense to me.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Cam chain tensioner MO 09 Jun 2006 13:00 #53212

• BARNEYHYPHEN
  • BARNEYHYPHEN's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Thanks George. Does it suggest TDC because that's perhaps where the chain is under least tension from the cams?

Cam chain tensioner MO 09 Jun 2006 13:05 #53215

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Barney... if you think about it, the position of the cams whether the lobes are on the buckets or not, doesn't affect the tension on the chain near as I can tell... Dunno why Kaw suggests it. I am sure Clymer suggests it because Kaw does but I bet Kaw couldn't tell you any reason why Kaw suggests TDC... Dunno... maybe somebody will pop in with a good theory!
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Cam chain tensioner MO 09 Jun 2006 13:29 #53220

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 237
At certain points in the cam rotation, the chain will be stressed at different points. For sure you want the engine sitting in a position to put all camchain slack right at the rear of the engine where the tensioner is when adjustment is made. For this reason you should go by the manual. I've never actually tried it, but would wager to guess if you removed the tensioner completely and pushed a rod or similar against the chain guide simulating what the tensioners job would be, as you slowly turned the engine over there would be places in the rotation that was putting more stress than others against your rod. If you happened to tension at a point where the chain had stress at the rear, the tensioner probably would not have enough spring load to adjust correctly.
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

Cam chain tensioner MO 09 Jun 2006 13:30 #53221

• mjkawa
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Im not sure why, but I adjusted the tension on my 650 just last week, and forgot to crank the motor over and put it in the location that the manual suggests ( I forget exactly where), and had chain rattle like crazy!
Then I did it just like the manual says, and all rattle dissappeared.

Maybe its just that I didnt crank the motor??

Just my .02
82 KZ-1000-J
77 KZ650 B

• Page: