Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Do i need a baffle? 08 Jun 2006 18:15 #53065

• rammy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
You can build a baffle for your pipe. I had to do that with mine after losen the orginal 1. called hooker header and said they quit making the header for my bike in '85 or so off to experminenting and finding dimentions I made mine out of stainless and sounds good. nice and quite when cruising but opens up and TALKS about 5500. Running and open can will get old real fast (too f@#Nin LOUD)AND i LIKE LOUD but after a coupl hrs of it screaming in your right ear you would wish it was quite.
The barn yard;77 Kz650B-1 Kaw(the fun one) & 89 classic hog.
Chicago area-south burbs

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Do i need a baffle? 08 Jun 2006 18:54 #53072

• kzmarvo
  • kzmarvo's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
How do you build a baffle?:S
Watch it folks,i have sticky fingers when it comes to a nice looking set of handle bars:)

Do i need a baffle? 08 Jun 2006 22:33 #53118

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
ambergrismooon wrote:

... One of my mother-in-laws hates noise and I always thought a nice spot in the middle of a header war was just the right spot for her!:woohoo:.:evil:

Young Gris (...before the Wookie suit...) being taught to ride a '68 Moto Guzzi by a prospective (...before she wised up and bought a shotgun...) mother-in-law...

Post edited by: Pterosaur, at: 2006/06/09 01:36
Attachments:

Do i need a baffle? 08 Jun 2006 22:52 #53121

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
ambergrismooon wrote:

...Then another mother-in-law would just plink your bikes with a BB gun when you left them unattended.....:evil:

Momma-in-law (...holding BB gun...) about to plink herself a Gris for asking if there was a 90 day money back plan on her daughter...
Attachments:

Do i need a baffle? 09 Jun 2006 06:25 #53156

• ambergrismooon
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 2
I don't know how you do it but you're so close to her real image it's scarey. She is this Granny Clampett doppelganger. She wore some combat looking boots with a sundress. Her daughter (ex#2) was a total opposite. OR so I thought until she walked in with a mowhawk and nose ring. She has ditched both now and has returned to the land of the almost normal. NOT that I would know what is NORMAL! But.... I am chief of the lost tribe of the Wherethefu**arewe's and comptroller of the "Sphincter of the Universe"! :woohoo:

Sorry about hijacking your thread kzmarvo!

Somebody tell this guy how to build a baffle please....

Do i need a baffle? 09 Jun 2006 07:06 #53160

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
ambergrismooon wrote:

...Somebody tell this guy how to build a baffle please....

Okay, since I've run amok and generally made a mockery of things as usual, I'll step up.

As always, there's two ways - the easy way, and the hard way.

The easy way is to get yourself a hunk of perforated diamond-plate steel, have it cut to a circular pattern to fit the end of your pipe, with a couple of tab extentions to be bent over and drilled for bolts. Usually, there's a rivet hole or two near the end of production-made cans that held the original baffle in place. Arrange the tab extensions to fit the rivet placement, and you're outta there.

Just enough back pressure to be effective, and opaque enough to fool the odd Barney.

The "hard" way is an extension of the easy way. Get a second piece of diamond plate of smaller diameter that fits the tapered inner of your pipe. Get a hunk of 1-1/4" to 1/1/2" steel tube about 6" to 8" long and drill a pattern of holes in it 3/8" to 1/2" in diameter. Weld the tube between the diamond plates so it looks like a tapered spool:

|
|_________|
|ooooooo|
_________
| |
|
Excuse the crappy ascii..

Slip the contraption into the end of your pipe and bolt it in place with the tab extensions as per the easy route.

Eeeeek! that *is* crappy *ascii*! :whistle:

[addendum]: Make sure that the inner (up the pipe) perfed diamond plate has about 1/4" clearance between its O.D. and the I.D. of your can - otherwise, when you fire it up, it's gonna sound like you go a swarm of pi$$ed-off *Keeeler Beez* up there lookin' for a target...

Viola!

Post edited by: Pterosaur, at: 2006/06/09 10:21

Post edited by: Pterosaur, at: 2006/06/09 11:06

Do i need a baffle? 09 Jun 2006 09:39 #53184

• cary
  • User
for 35 bones, MAC will send you a nice chrome canister w/ baffle and mounting hardware. just make sure you have a collecter with the correct inside diameter

Do i need a baffle? 09 Jun 2006 21:06 #53306

• Unhinged
  • User
...LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES...

Do i need a baffle? 10 Jun 2006 07:37 #53376

• 77KZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH
Attachments:

Do i need a baffle? 10 Jun 2006 07:40 #53379

• 77KZ650
  • User
hows that for a 2 min MSpaint pic of a baffle?:P
black is the pipe, red the steel plate(or sheet metal) and piece of pipe, and blue is drill holes
07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

Do i need a baffle? 10 Jun 2006 08:16 #53384

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
77KZ650 wrote:

hows that for a 2 min MSpaint pic of a baffle?:P
black is the pipe, red the steel plate(or sheet metal) and piece of pipe, and blue is drill holes

Egggggg-zactly! ;)

Do i need a baffle? 10 Jun 2006 08:55 #53388

• btchalice
  • User
hey pt i have that movie with the granny on the bike
harold and maude
Terry Meyer / Wichita KS
76 kz900 w/1000 motor TWZTD
I am not driving too fast, I'm flying too low.