• Page:

TOPIC:

Dupli-Color Engine Paint Questions 22 Apr 2006 19:31 #41741

• inline4
  • inline4's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello everyone.
I have painted my Z1 cases black with Dupli-Color High-Temp engine paint with ceramic. I have some ideas I would like to implement on my KZ cylinder and/or head.
The paint used on the cases is rated at 1200 degrees. The color(s) I want to use on the cylinder/head is rated at 500 degrees. They do not offer the color I want with the 1200 degree-rated paint.
Can I use the 500-depgree rated paint on the head and/or cylinder without having any worries? Thanks for your help.
Jim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dupli-Color Engine Paint Questions 22 Apr 2006 19:35 #41744

• Shoe48
  • User
  • Live each day as it is your last
  • Thank you received: 5
I have used Dupli-Color wheel paint on engines with no problems ,, I would think their engine paint should hold up fine ;) :)

Dupli-Color Engine Paint Questions 23 Apr 2006 03:50 #41802

• gpzrox
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Both types were used last year on my motor, seems to hold up well in both cases: I think your cylinder head should be fine with the 500 if you prep well.
84 GPZ750. Modded with stock Kawasaki parts: ZR-7 shock, ZX-6 coils, GPZ1100 throttle, EN454 brake, GPZ900 fuse box, etc. and non stock: Ken Sears mirrors, K&N filter, Pirelli Sport Demons.

Dupli-Color Engine Paint Questions 23 Apr 2006 09:33 #41840

• indykaw77
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
The stuff w/ ceramic also holds up against those pesky gas spills.......dont ask how I know......we'll just say I know and seen it with me own 2 eyes, up close and personal.
Kawasaki Motorcycles...because cars lean th wrong way!

Dupli-Color Engine Paint Questions 01 May 2006 13:29 #44209

• Jack
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
Just painted a rebuilt MKll head with the DupliColor 550 paint engine paint( with ceramic) and very surprised with the quality.Duplicolor paint used to be pretty low end and thought if I didn't like it it would be easily removed. Nice satin finish with low lustre black and looks very similar to original factory finish.
79 KZ 1075 MKll
79 KZ 1500 MKll dragbike
Gone but not forgotten:
3 X 73 Z1's
1 X 74 Z1A
1 X 75 Z1B

Dupli-Color Engine Paint Questions 01 May 2006 14:14 #44221

• gas
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I did most of my engine with Dupli color High heat Aluminum with ceramic (DH1606) last year. it has held up well except were I've spilled gas on the drive chain cover. I used flat black Colour Place High heat bar-b-q paint for my Dynamo/Point/valve covers and exhaust. These covers all held extremely well (with red auto primer beneath) with only a few stone chips from highway riding. What sucked was my exhaust with showed mottled rust through after a season, even with carefull prep. I also redid my header this spring. This time I preped, then used Rust Killer by Rust Check (supposed to be a rust killing primer) and then applied my usual multi coats of high heat flat black, then baked these things at lowish temp in the oven for a cure. I was better off with without the Rust Killer (a greyish colour) as the high heat bar-b-q burnt/flacked off right away revealing the grey pipes beneath!, Grrrrrrrrr! I was extremely carefull that all parts were immaculatly clean and or primered and or bake cured in the oven. This Rust Check was supposed to be compatible as a primer for all paints, how disappointing. Another factor may have been that my header pipes got exceptionaly hot early this year because I had ultra leans carbs at one point, with white plug electrodes. That has been corrected, but I may have buggered it that way. Dunno, Don't have the ambition to take it all off and redo it yet., maybe later. I'll try to find some higher end flat black for the next application.

Post edited by: gas, at: 2006/05/01 17:33

• Page: