Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

clutch problems 03 Apr 2006 18:37 #36524

• craig1690
  • craig1690's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
it seems that the clutch springs are compressed so far that it wont allow the push rod to open the plates. i actually broke the tip off of the clutch cable from trying to get the clutch to open. advice would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

clutch problems 03 Apr 2006 18:53 #36531

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
  • Thank you received: 29
Welcome to KZr, Craig.

First off, what year and model bike we talking about here?

I'd suggest checking the easy things first:
Check the routing of the clutch cable to make sure it's not binding anywhere, or if the outer cover has been melted by the exhaust or engine and causing the cable to stick inside.

I'd recommend adding what bike model and year you have into your profile signature. That way you won't have to post that info everytime you have a question. ;)
I'd also recommend adding where you're located to your profile too.
There are members here from all over the world, and more than likely some close enough to you to be able to offer you hands-on help or to get together with for group rides. B)
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

clutch problems 03 Apr 2006 19:14 #36544

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
craig, I enjoy helping folks but don't have near enough time to write up a clutch fix how to for every possible model that I know about... Really is helpful to edit your profile and give us the skinny on bike model/year and your location.

In any case, it isn't likely the problem is the clutch springs. The problem most likely is that the pivot gear that the cable actuates isn't pivoting far enough. This is a cable/clutch adjustment issue. I just worked on an KZ1000E2 (ST) today that the PO sold as an unfinished project bike where the clutch was BADLY out of adjustment (probably one of the three reasons he sold it!). In this case, a clutch adjustment both at the cable and pivot point was needed and it seems fine now. The clutch springs are actually nicer to my old feeble left hand when they get totally worn out! The clutch has an easier pull than the new HEAVY DUTY springs I seem to always end up buying...
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: