Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Oil cooler mod ? for \"stuck in traffic\"....add a fan? 29 Mar 2006 22:33 #35365

• 77KZ650
  • 77KZ650's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
I have been doing a lot of reading on here about the advantages and disadvantages of oil coolers. Im quite sure that my bike is going to need one after the engine mods Im doing. The problem with an oil cooler that Im looking at right now is, that it doesnt "work" when you need it most: stuck in traffic not moving, as there is no air moving over the cooler or engine. theres always the option of shutting the bike off, but to fix (or at least help) the problem of over heating, I thought that you might be able to add a fan to the oil cooler, the same way fans are mounted on rads. does anyone think that this could work/help? I know that some rad fans on some of the new sport bikes are pretty small, some bikes use 2 (do to a curved rad in some cases i think), maybe 1 from a bike with 2 would be small enough. any thoughts on that? Also, "performance" case fans for the new "gaming" (powerful) computers move a lot of air, and are small, and also 12 volt. not sure if they could handle the heat though.... any ideas there?
I would think that a setup like this could be switched on when you need it (stuck in traffic), either automaticly via a temp sensor, or manulally by the driver when he/she sees the oil temp rising too high (if you have a temp guage installed too).
So, what does everyone think?:)
Scott
07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Oil cooler mod ? for "stuck in traffic"....add a fan? 29 Mar 2006 22:42 #35366

• Shoe48
  • User
  • Live each day as it is your last
  • Thank you received: 5
Use a computer fan..most are brushless wouldnt use much current ,, If you cant find one let me know I live close to a computer junk yard .. But you might want to ask yourself how long in traffic will it take to heat up your motor to need a fan ? Remember that even though there might not be much air moving , The fins on the cooler are radiating off the heat ,, Is traffice in your area that bad as in larger cities ??? Just my two cents tonight :dry:

Post edited by: shoe48, at: 2006/03/30 01:43

Oil cooler mod ? for \"stuck in traffic\"....add a fan? 29 Mar 2006 23:10 #35374

• 77KZ650
  • User
Well, I wouldnt call traffic very bad in my area, but I do get stuck sometimes, and I worried about over heating with the bike stock lol. I guess it was more of a general idea for everone that has modified engines and gets stuck in traffic a lot, and worries about their bike getting too hot, something that is borderline to being a drag bike only, and not a daily commuter.
I am thinking of putting a setup like this on if it could work. I can get new comp fans locally for less than $10, so thats what I'll probly do for a fan, unless someone doesnt think they would work (ex, melt from heat), but thanks a lot for the offer Shoe:)
Scott
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

Oil cooler mod ? for \"stuck in traffic\"....add a fan? 29 Mar 2006 23:14 #35375

• 77KZ650
  • User
I had another idea that might work with, or by itsself from my other idea. Maybe mount a couple fans hidden under the tank, around the coils, blowing air down onto the head.:whistle:
Scott

Oil cooler mod ? for \"stuck in traffic\"....add a fan? 30 Mar 2006 05:41 #35404

• c_aasland
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Is waterproofing an issue for you? If so, you may want to nix the computer fan idea (at least make sure you have a fuse for that circuit).

Oil cooler mod ? for \"stuck in traffic\"....add a fan? 30 Mar 2006 05:50 #35408

• wireman
  • Visitor
dont forget a fan shroud to pull the air through the cooler instead of just blowing it around.;)

Oil cooler mod ? for "stuck in traffic"....add a fan? 30 Mar 2006 19:58 #35618

• 900cows
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Dont ever forget,anything close to 100hp and above needs some kind of movement of air or,need of water cooling.The more horse,the more need for heat disapation.90 degree heat in the summer will play hell on a 1200cc engine in taffic. yes a low current fan will help.Outside flat black paint on an engine will absorb more heat than any other color,and disipate it faster than any other color.No more said.

Post edited by: 900cows, at: 2006/03/30 23:01

Oil cooler mod ? for "stuck in traffic"....add a fan? 30 Mar 2006 20:18 #35621

• 900cows
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
If running some sort of fan,it needs to be shut off above forty m.p.h.90 m.p.h. will spin the motor faster then need be.Will disrupt fan speed.

Post edited by: 900cows, at: 2006/03/30 23:22

Oil cooler mod ? for \"stuck in traffic\"....add a fan? 31 Mar 2006 04:15 #35669

• WTF!
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
On your basic car the fan is mounted on the rear of the rad to draw the air through the core. Due to the design of the fan they don't require mounting in a shroud. They are more or less a venturi once fitted against the rear of the core. Point being; you don't want to blow but suck instead...
I think a CPU fan would be the cats pyjamas and it would be interesting to see how long it lasts in the rain... Cheap to replace at least!
Just my 10 cents worth...

Oil cooler mod ? for \"stuck in traffic\"....add a fan? 01 Apr 2006 09:21 #35943

• 77KZ650
  • User
What would be the max oil temp a bike could handle before you either shut it off or hurt the engine?

Oil cooler mod ? for \"stuck in traffic\"....add a fan? 01 Apr 2006 14:30 #35986

• BohicaBob
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 35
Maybe 300 degrees F because your engine bearings can probably handle 350 degrees F. But I've shut down one of my bikes once in a very big traffic mess when I saw 255 degrees F on my VDO oil temp gauge.:(

• Page: