Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Oil Cooler? 23 Mar 2006 09:30 #33698

• Prune1
  • Prune1's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey guys spring is here and I am getting my '76 900 ready to ride. I am debating on buying/building an oil cooler for it. Are there real advantages to having one? Are they more headache than they are helpful? Ive read oldkawmans article on how to build one, but Im looking for a cleaner install, with maybe a chrome exchanger. What would you guys recommend?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Oil Cooler? 23 Mar 2006 10:48 #33728

• wireman
  • Visitor
where are you located ,what kind of riding and whats done to motor?:whistle:

Oil Cooler? 23 Mar 2006 10:51 #33730

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
There are positives and negatives regarding the use of an oil cooler. The positive is that in the summer, your oil will run a bit cooler if you ride for long straights at speed in hot climates. The downside is that in the winter (or cooler weather), your coil can take forever to warm up and you will get considerable condensation in your oil as a result and the oil will stay thicker for a longer period of time and this would be adverse to lubricating I think. To avoid this problem and take advantage of the positive, you can get an oil cooler with a thermostatically activated bypass. This will allow your oil to not run through the cooling fins in colder weather. The very best choices for this type oil cooler are those for Harleys (also air cooled) and they have a ton of them on www.jpcycles.com - just choose one with a bypass. The Harley type oil coolers are also a bit better looking, in my opinion, than most of the metric oriented coolers.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Oil Cooler? 23 Mar 2006 12:03 #33757

• ejshotgun
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Welcome to the KZr....
Got Pics?

Oil Cooler? 23 Mar 2006 15:23 #33798

• BohicaBob
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 35
If you get an oil cooler without a built-in bypass, you can buy one from Lockhart, or from old VW Beetle parts places.

The Lockhart oil cooler thermostat begins opening at 160 degrees F and is fully open at 180 degrees F.

Oil Cooler? 23 Mar 2006 18:07 #33852

• arobsum
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
i've even seen people use old power steering coolers. does the delay of the oil getting to the top of the engine because it has to go thru the cooler first have a bad effect? or is it negligable?

Oil Cooler? 23 Mar 2006 21:09 #33900

• Prune1
  • Prune1's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
First off I appriciate the info. I am in Ohio, and the bike is completely stock :whistle: (K&N filter, minus baffles in the stock 4-4 pipes) mostly ridden on the back roads in the opposite lane passing slow traffic. As soon as the weather permits, I will roll it out and take some pics. Wiredgeorge, you have convinced me to get the oil cooler with the thermostat. Thanks for the link. Cant wait to get back out on the roads.

Oil Cooler? 23 Mar 2006 21:49 #33906

• wireman
  • Visitor
most stock kz1000s ive seen dont tend to overheat in normal use thats why i was wondering what was done to motor.when you start getting into bigger built motors than spend a lot of time in traffic thats where ive personally seen most overheating issues come up.;) goodluck,happy wrenching!

Oil Cooler? 24 Mar 2006 06:00 #33939

• letthegoodtimesroll
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
As an alternate to using an oilcooler with a thermostate, I have seen people use a cover so the air doesn't pass through the cooler.
1977 KZ650C1, Kerker Header, Dyna ignition and coils, GPZ 750 oil pan and cooler

Oil Cooler? 24 Mar 2006 06:15 #33941

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
I taped cardboard over the oil cooler I had on one of my KZ900s all winter a few years ago when I still worked in the big city and commuted. It took oil FOREVER to warm; even with the cardboard covering the cooler and it looked like... well cardboard.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Oil Cooler? 24 Mar 2006 10:11 #33996

• 77KZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
If I understand correctly, the oil path of the cooler isnt directly linked to anything right? just sort of "spliced" off of an existing path. (maybe this is just how it is for the 650 though) If you had an inline valve in the cooler path, you could just shut of the oil going through the cooler in cold conditions and open the valve for hard summer driving. Would this work?
Scott
07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

Oil Cooler? 24 Mar 2006 18:48 #34083

• theboz
  • User
I have a cooler on my bike, but the fittings are leaking.

There are no markings on the cooler itself, so I have no idea of the manufacturer.

On the right side, above and to the rear of the ignition cover, near the base of the cylinders, it looks like it used to be a plug. My oil cooler return hose goes into a fitting that replaced the plug.

Does anyone know what size threads these are and/or where I could get a replacement fitting?

• Page: