Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Pulling the clutch? Weird rattle... 12 Mar 2006 21:47 #30528

• KitNYC
  • KitNYC's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
First, let me say that the not-running-when-bought KZ400 started w/o choke yesterday. Woohoo! :)

Now, onto the current problem... When the engine is running & I pull in the clutch lever, there's a loud rattling noise that sounds like... I don't know, a smallish piece of metal spinning around in a metal cage? It sounds like the spinning slows, then stops after a few seconds, & the noise stops when the spinning does. This was diagnosed by a local wrench who listened to it as a nut that holds the clutch assembly together loose inside the engine. Sounds plausible to me...

I changed the oil 49.8 miles ago, but I didn't change the filter 'cause the (expletive) bolt was stripped. $15 to an eBay seller for a NOS filter valve & $15 to the local hardware store for a full-size vice grip later, I'm ready to pull the filter. Obviously, I'd like to pull the clutch cover at the same time so I don't have to buy another gallon of oil...

So, my question... (You knew there was one coming, right? ;) )

What's involved in pulling the clutch cover off? Does the points plate have to come off? What's likely to put up a fight, besides the 30-year-old Phillips screws on the clutch cover? Any other gotchas? Springs that'll jump out at me? Bearings that'll make a run for it as soon as I pull the cover?

Any tips appreciated, as I've never gone this far in before.

Thanks,
-Kit

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pulling the clutch? Weird rattle... 12 Mar 2006 22:24 #30529

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
No, the points plate does not have to come off, but the timing advancer bolt does.
Don't forget to disconnect the wire going to the points though, because you will likely break or damage it at some time during the operation if you don't :)
KD9JUR

Pulling the clutch? Weird rattle... 12 Mar 2006 23:20 #30531

• gas
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0

Pulling the clutch? Weird rattle... 13 Mar 2006 07:06 #30604

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Kit, I wouldn't touch the screws with a screwdriver. Buy a hand impact wrench. Clean the slots on those phillips head screws with a toothbrush if they have stuff stuck in them and give them a good pop with the impact driver and a hammer. The impact wrench will break the screws loose and not damage the slots as the screwdriver will. Get with www.z1enterprises.com and see if they have a stainless socket head bolt kit for that bike! You may also need a new clutch cover gasket as well... (I am not all that familiar with the 400). The hand impact driver will cost less than $10 from Harbor Freight and include at least three normal length phillips bits #2, #3 and #4 I think, and a couple of slotted bits as well as a couple of longer reach bits. Initially, I NEVER touch a phillips head case screw with a screwdriver. I break them all loose first!
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Pulling the clutch? Weird rattle... 13 Mar 2006 07:36 #30610

• kevco
  • User
There is a nice write-up here . It used to be stickied in the old forum.

I'll add my 2 cents about the harbor freight impact driver. I bought one for my clutch a few months ago and it broke by around the 3rd screw? I then bought a craftsman impact drive for $25 or $30 and it was worth every penny IMO. It not only feels much more solid, but it is a different design and I find it much easier to use.

Pulling the clutch? Weird rattle... 14 Mar 2006 01:51 #30924

• KitNYC
  • User
Thanks much for the tips, guys! I spent all day working on some issues with the Triumph, running errands, & looking for a job, so I haven't had a chance to work on the KZ yet, but I did do one thing: I took the #3 Phillips out & tried the clutch cover screws...

The PO claimed that he had replaced the clutch & stator. (Is the stator under the same cover?) He seemed like an honest guy when I met him, & everything else checked out, so I thought I'd try the screwdriver since the screws should have been loosened within the last couple years. Well, I only tried 4 of 'em, but they all turned pretty easily. :) They should come out easily, & I have stainless Allen heads to replace 'em with 'cause I bought a set for the 440 & never pulled the clutch cover on it.

Should work out well; here's hoping...

Cheers,
-Kit

Pulling the clutch? Weird rattle... 28 Mar 2006 11:46 #34967

• KitNYC
  • User
New oil, filter, & filter bolt/valve all installed. I found no loose bolts inside. What I did find was a repair/weld/lump of solder on the inside of the clutch cover, corresponding to a very minor-looking dent on the outside. The noise is coming from the clutch rubbing on the lump of metal. I'll be in the market for a clutch cover at some point, but I'm not worrying about it for now.

The bike still runs after I had the clutch cover off, so I'm happy.

Cheers,
-Kit:P

Pulling the clutch? Weird rattle... 30 Apr 2006 02:02 #43828

• Cue
  • User
Yah, I have the same issue with my clutch and cover. Last year, I dumped my '74 KZ400 on it's left side, and the brake lever put a hole through the clutch cover. This is probably what happened to your cover too. Machine shop welded it up, but didn't do a good enough job of cleaning the cover up.

The noise I get sounds more like a ticking and usually only is heard when in Neutral or first with the clutch in. All fun and games tho, fixing up these old bikes.

Later.

• Page: